Fastest VGA VLB card

Post by jhro.. » Tue, 14 Mar 1995 02:13:18

What is the fastest VGA VLB card to play action games ??

Fastest VGA VLB card

Post by ChasM S » Sat, 18 Mar 1995 08:22:05

   Answering this question is really risky (things can change in a
minute...) but
from my experience, the fastest VL frame buffer access falls to the Tseng
Labs
chip (the ET4000/W32p).  I've tested an STB Lightspeed VL and it was the
fastest
of the set of cards I had (almost all STB cards, most Diamond cards and
some
ATI cards, as well as a lot of chip vendor sample cards).  Hercules has a
card
that is extremely similar (Dynamite?).  It should be a top performer as
well...

   I would expect high end VRAM cards to do comparably, too, but
experience
has not supported this expectation.  I've not looked at STB's S3 '968
based card
yet, or a few other contenders, so I can't say how well they do...

--Charles [I do drivers and BIOSes for STB]

Fastest VGA VLB card

Post by Hugh LaMast » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

|>    Answering this question is really risky (things can change in a
|> minute...) but
|> from my experience, the fastest VL frame buffer access falls to the Tseng
|> Labs
|> chip (the ET4000/W32p).  I've tested an STB Lightspeed VL and it was the
|> fastest

Does this card have a PCI version?

|> of the set of cards I had (almost all STB cards, most Diamond cards and
|> some
|> ATI cards, as well as a lot of chip vendor sample cards).  Hercules has a
|> card
|> that is extremely similar (Dynamite?).  It should be a top performer as
|> well...
|>
|>    I would expect high end VRAM cards to do comparably, too, but
|> experience
|> has not supported this expectation.  I've not looked at STB's S3 '968
|> based card
|> yet, or a few other contenders, so I can't say how well they do...
|>
|> --Charles [I do drivers and BIOSes for STB]

It seems to me that the numbers for the latest generation
"windowing" cards, e.g. ATI Pro Turbo 64, etc., also have
good frame buffer performance (while earlier, similar
cards did not).

Which card has the cleanest, simplest, best-documented,
easiest-to-write-drivers-for interface?

--
  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-9,     UUCP:      ames!lamaster

  Phone:  415/604-1056                     #include <std_disclaimer.h>

Fastest VGA VLB card

Post by (Brian » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>|>    Answering this question is really risky (things can change in a
>|> minute...) but
>|> from my experience, the fastest VL frame buffer access falls to the Tseng
>|> Labs
>|> chip (the ET4000/W32p).  I've tested an STB Lightspeed VL and it was the
>|> fastest
>Does this card have a PCI version?
>|> of the set of cards I had (almost all STB cards, most Diamond cards and
>|> some
>|> ATI cards, as well as a lot of chip vendor sample cards).  Hercules has a
>|> card
>|> that is extremely similar (Dynamite?).  It should be a top performer as
>|> well...
>|>
>|>    I would expect high end VRAM cards to do comparably, too, but
>|> experience
>|> has not supported this expectation.  I've not looked at STB's S3 '968
>|> based card
>|> yet, or a few other contenders, so I can't say how well they do...
>|>
>|> --Charles [I do drivers and BIOSes for STB]
>It seems to me that the numbers for the latest generation
>"windowing" cards, e.g. ATI Pro Turbo 64, etc., also have
>good frame buffer performance (while earlier, similar
>cards did not).
>Which card has the cleanest, simplest, best-documented,
>easiest-to-write-drivers-for interface?

I'd go with the Hercules Dynamite Power in the et4000w32p arena

Driver availability should be no problem,  you need to make your own?

             -Alexander

Boycott Baseball!  But please continue supporting hotdogs and apple pie.

Fastest VGA VLB card

Post by Calvin Ch » Sat, 22 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>It seems to me that the numbers for the latest generation
>"windowing" cards, e.g. ATI Pro Turbo 64, etc., also have
>good frame buffer performance (while earlier, similar
>cards did not).

Anyone tried the Firestorm 192 from Radius?  Suppose to have
a dedicated 64-bit chip for each RGB channel.

It may fly in Windows, but I wonder how's the DOS performance.

 | Thus the pagan will be sanctified, the tragic become laughable; great     |
 | lovers will stoop to sentiment, and demons dwindle down to clockwork toys |
 |                                                --Clive Barker, Weaveworld |

Fastest VGA VLB card

Post by shussa » Sun, 23 Apr 1995 04:00:00

says...

>|>    Answering this question is really risky (things can change in a
>|> minute...) but
>|> from my experience, the fastest VL frame buffer access falls to the
Tseng
>|> Labs

Have you tested the Diamond speedstar pro for VLB. If so, how does it
compare to the card you mentioned above. I am thinking of buying it and
would appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks.