point_lun with large files.

Post by Ray Stern » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

  I have a project that will be collecting data on 9 Gb
  disk drives and was wondering how I could use point_lun
  to jump to a specified byte in a large file.  Can I just
  use a double precision value with point_lun?  That should
  work up into the Terabyte range if it doesn't get converted
  to a long int by point_lun.  I don't have a big disk yet to
  try it and don't want to get too far off on the wrong track.
  Thanks for any help.

  The Johns Hopkins University    North latitude 39.16 degrees.
  Applied Physics Laboratory      West longitude 76.90 degrees.
  Laurel, MD 20723-6099
  WWW Home page:  http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/res/

point_lun with large files.

Post by Alex Schuste » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>   I have a project that will be collecting data on 9 Gb
>   disk drives and was wondering how I could use point_lun
>   to jump to a specified byte in a large file.  Can I just
>   use a double precision value with point_lun?  That should
>   work up into the Terabyte range if it doesn't get converted
>   to a long int by point_lun.  I don't have a big disk yet to
>   try it and don't want to get too far off on the wrong track.
>   Thanks for any help.

I would be quite surprised if this worked. Up to 2 GB should be okay,
but I guess my admin would become a bit upset if I tested this here...
Doubles of course cover a wider range, but even if this were not
converted, what about the precision?

Maybe ASSOC is the solution. This _should_ do it, however, I would like
to have this tested by someone first.

        Alex
--

1. Split Large Excel file to multiple excel files and possible save the files

Hello Frndz,

I have a killing task to create for all students specified xls for each
parent with grades etc..

The data is retrieved from a large database.

1. I want to create specific sheets for each student from the massive excel
file

I want to create the sheet name by the name in A5 and H5
The data i want to retrive is in A to U columns until a new name comes in
Column A
I have three headers that needs also to come along too
.

2. Then I want to save the new sheets with the students name and class in a
folder X:\students

Sorry in my office, I don't have permission to upload any file, so request
you to help by creating your own dummy data or provide me your mail id, so
that I can fwd from any other source.

Shekhar Sharma
9910010060
"Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing
those  you hold well"
 "Before you judge another, think of your own last mistake."

2. Corba and Tornado (VxWorks 5.3)

3. Split a large pdf file to several small pdf files?

4. Req: Dutch midi's

5. Large file or several small files?

6. installed VPN lost internet connection

7. point_lun

8. Your Opinion Counts - Help

9. point_lun question

10. point_lun is slow

11. WTS: LARGE :---> Special Cisco End of Year Sale :-) Happy New Year <---: LARGE

12. How large are "large images" in Reader?

13. VueScan & Epson 2450 - How large a file?