plotting vectors on maps

Post by David Bowma » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:14:07

Hi All.  I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get IDL to
plot vectors onto a map.  VEL, VELOVECT and their cousins work ok,
however they all require gridded data.  My data are a dozen or so more
or less randomly located geographical points with X (East) and Y (North)
velocity components.  Does anybody have/know of a simple plot routine
that accepts U,V,x,y as vectors, rather than 2-D arrays?

Thanks in advance!
david

--
David Bowmman
Assistant Professor

plotting vectors on maps

Post by David Fannin » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 01:07:11

> Hi All.  I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get IDL to
> plot vectors onto a map.  VEL, VELOVECT and their cousins work ok,
> however they all require gridded data.  My data are a dozen or so more
> or less randomly located geographical points with X (East) and Y (North)
> velocity components.  Does anybody have/know of a simple plot routine
> that accepts U,V,x,y as vectors, rather than 2-D arrays?

VELOVECT doesn't require gridded data. That is the whole
point of the optional X and Y vectors. These vectors
place the vectors randomly on the plot.

Cheers,

David
--
David W. Fanning, Ph.D.
Fanning Software Consulting, Inc.

Toll-Free IDL Book Orders: 1-888-461-0155

plotting vectors on maps

Post by Ben Tupp » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:47:35

Hello,

The built-in ARROW procedure does just this with a looped call to
PLOTS.   The code is written to allow you to control the arrow head
size and other characteristics.

Ben

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:14:07 -0700, David Bowman

>Hi All.  I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get IDL to
>plot vectors onto a map.  VEL, VELOVECT and their cousins work ok,
>however they all require gridded data.  My data are a dozen or so more
>or less randomly located geographical points with X (East) and Y (North)
>velocity components.  Does anybody have/know of a simple plot routine
>that accepts U,V,x,y as vectors, rather than 2-D arrays?

>Thanks in advance!
>david

>--
>David Bowmman
>Assistant Professor
>Department of Geological Sciences
>California State University, Fullerton
>Fullerton, CA 92834-6850

1. Plots vectors or points on the current map projection.

 Hello all,

I am interested in a procedure which plots vectors or points
(specified as longitude/latitude data) on the current map projection
for IDL.  I have found velovect, but I am not sure that this is what I
want.  Also is there a good tutorial for creating maps with various
annotations in IDL?  This is a new topic for me and would appreciate
any advice.
Lisa Bryan
Arete Associates
Tucson, Arizona

2. mixed drink database

3. vector plots and map backgrounds

4. How to give an application rights to change the registry

5. vector plots on maps

6. Login-time on an AS5300

7. Vector or Streamline plots on map base?

8. Overriding shortcut keys

9. Thanks for Help on Vector Plot

10. How to make a Vector Plot using SAS?

11. Vector Field Plot on Irregular Grid

12. Plotting 3D vectors simply in IDL - how to?

13. plotting vectors in 3D