converting Lat/Long to UK Ordnance Survey National Grid Reference (NGR)

converting Lat/Long to UK Ordnance Survey National Grid Reference (NGR)

Post by Paul Morri » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Dear All,

I was wondering if anyone had an IDL routine available to take latitude and
longitude co-ordinates and convert them to UK Ordnance Survey Eastings and
Northings? I have found some C code to do the conversion but was hoping to
avoid using CALL_EXTERNAL if I possibly can! I have searched for a suitable
IDL library or user-written routine but with no success.

Many thanks if someone has any ideas,

Kind regards,

Paul Morris
Dept Physics,
University of Oxford

Post by Ben Tuppe » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I was wondering if anyone had an IDL routine available to take latitude and
> longitude co-ordinates and convert them to UK Ordnance Survey Eastings and
> Northings? I have found some C code to do the conversion but was hoping to
> avoid using CALL_EXTERNAL if I possibly can! I have searched for a suitable
> IDL library or user-written routine but with no success.

I have written some code for converting from Lat/lon to UTM False
Eastings/Northings for NAD27 and WGS84 (NAD83) map datums.  You welcome to
have them if useful to you.  In any event, you should get your hands on this
reference: Snyder, J.P., "MapProjections Used by the U.S. Geological Survey",
2nd ed., Geol. Survey Bulletin 1532, 313pp, U.S. Government Printing Office,
Washington, DC, 1982.    It has detailed explanantions of mapping datums and
conversion methods.   I don't recall if it has info on mapping systems used
outside of North America.

--
Ben Tupper

Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Science

Pemaquid River Company

1. Converting - nad-27 long lat to nad83 long lat

Hello To All:
    at my work we get a lot of USA tickets(under ground alert service)
in which we have to locate for our facilities. the tickets do have lat
long information as to the location of the activity.  Our GIS map is in
NAD83 zone california zone III.

I hope I can Find the following.....
-  An avenue code that takes the nad27 long lat and converts it   to
nad83 long lat
-  An avenue code that takes the nad83 cords and convert it to nothing
and easting.

2. HELP!-Configuring Primary&Secondary Name servers

3. Converting UTM user grid to Normal Lat Long.

4. Is this statement true??

5. trying to convert old fs coordinate system to long/lat

6. slocal/.maildelivery problems

7. MapObjects2 - Converting Lambert Easting & Northings to Geo Lat/Long

8. Computer Related Eyestrain

9. Convert Long And Lat

10. Convert Long and lat to Lamberts

11. Lat Long convert to UTM

12. UPDATE: DICOM Conformance Statement Survey (Long, Long lines)

13. Lats/Longs