Does signing in pgp affect decryption in any way ?

Does signing in pgp affect decryption in any way ?

Post by Anthony E. Gree » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

P.S. PGP 5.5 (freeware) users will not be able to verify this
signature, although I can verify theirs. PGP 5.0 users can talk
to everyone. See link below.

 Use PGP -- Envelopes and Signatures for Email
 What is PGP? <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/pgp/>
 My PGP Key: <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/pgp/agreene.key>
 FREEWARE Win95 PGP 5.0: <http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html>

Does signing in pgp affect decryption in any way ?

Post by Ron Hei » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>PGP can't tell whether it has been signed or not until it has been
>decrypted.

Doesn't this depend on whether I have encrypted a signed message or signed
an encrypted message?

--
Ron.

Does signing in pgp affect decryption in any way ?

Post by Pierre Abba » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> What is the difference between decrypting a pgp-encrypted message
> and decrypting a pgp-encrypted message that is also signed ?
> Is there any old version of pgp that does not support decrypting
> of signed message ?

Not that I know of, but the signature format was changed between versions
2.3 and 2.6. If a key was signed with 2.3, 2.6 will say "Malformed or
obsolete signature format."

phma

1. Two sign ins required

I have recently upgraded to MSN 5.0 on Windows 98 (on a laptop).  I had no
problems signing in with my previous version of messenger using many
different connection types (ADSL, modem, LAN, firewall and no firewall).  I
am now experiencing an annoying bug with the sign in process.  If I ask
messenger to remember my password I am never able to sign in.  However if I
sign in with out the "remember my password" box ticked twice in a row, after
the second attempt I am able to sign in.  I have checked my date and time,
checked the case of my password, changed my password, changed my firewall
settings (so I had no firewall at all) and none of these changed the
situation.

Any help would be great

Mark

2. Upgrading mySQL

3. PGP 5.0i - will it come with Plug-Ins?

4. serial port unit

5. Possible Bug in PGP 6.0 and Outlook/OE Plug-ins

6. PicStart Plus programmer always locks

7. Clearsigning in PGP 5.0 & Plug-ins: How secure?

8. Help

9. Need pgp 5.0 freeware plug-ins for Netscape mail

10. Scanning plug-ins

11. Mirrowind OXM Disc, Plug-Ins, Patches

12. Clever Keyboard Indicator: Caps/Num/Scroll Locks and Ins indicators,OSD text,sound notifications

13. HomeSeer plug-ins