problem with reading pgp-message

Post by Tim » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:29:12

Sorry, i am novice. Here is my problem. I imported already publik key
(.asc file) to PGPkeys. But when i try to read encrypted message i am
getting a window: "It is not possible to decrypt this message because
your keyring does not contain usable private key(s) corresponding to
any of the above public key(s)". I see this public key in this window,
moreover, i have my personal private key but i can't understand why
message is still unreadable for me. Have i missed something?
Please help me.

problem with reading pgp-message

Post by Gamma300 » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:16:06

Quote:> Sorry, i am novice. Here is my problem. I imported already publik key
> (.asc file) to PGPkeys. But when i try to read encrypted message i am
> getting a window: "It is not possible to decrypt this message because
> your keyring does not contain usable private key(s) corresponding to
> any of the above public key(s)". I see this public key in this window,
> moreover, i have my personal private key but i can't understand why
> message is still unreadable for me. Have i missed something?
> Please help me.

Yes, you have the public key, but you don't have the private key that
corrosponds with it. Your personal private key is totally different to the
private key that corrosponds with the public key the data has been encrypted
to. When someone encrypts data to you, they need to encrypt it to your
public key (drag your name down into the recipient list). Likewise when you
encrypt to someone else, your name may be in the recipient list, but this is
only so that you can decrypt the data as well. For anyone else to decrypt
the data, they must have been added as a recipient when it is encrypted.

1. PGP messages sent to non-PGP users?

Recently, I purchased McAfee Office Pro 2000 to send encrypted business
email. It was my understanding that commercial PGP products offered the
ability to send PGP messages to recipients WITHOUT PGP installed, using a
pre-arranged password to open the message. Don't the commercial versions of
PGP offered this? Or, is there a downloadable upgrade to realize this
functionality?

2. Which PGP under NT4 ?

3. Problem in decrypting my own messages with PGP 6.02i

4. Routed Doesn't Use Gateways Routes

5. problem with reading workgroup messages

6. HELP!! IR decoding with Philips SAA3049A

7. Problems while reading the message length tag

8. Publishing Changes on Webpage

9. Interoperability problem PGP 6.5.2a (Windows) & PGP 6.5.1 (Linux)

10. PGP & Eudora: problem replying to PGP/mime e-mail

11. Using read to read from serial channel problem

12. PS2 online choas READ READ READ

13. PGP and Outlook 2000 message files (.msg)