pgp encryption error, any ideas on howto fix?

pgp encryption error, any ideas on howto fix?

Post by Jamble » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:54:11

Dear group,

    I'm trying to back up a tarred directory. This is all being done through
a shell script. During previous tests it worked perfectly fine. Though, I am
testing it now on the real tar, which comes out to about 4+Gb. During this
test i get the following output:

Pretty Good Privacy(tm) Version 6.5.8
Internal development version only - not for general release.
(c) 1999 Network Associates Inc.

Export of this software may be restricted by the U.S. government.

Recipients' public key(s) will be used to encrypt.

2048-bit RSA key, Key ID 0xXXXXXXX, created 2003/06/24
ASSERTION FAILED at pgpAddHdr.c line 303:
  (0) not true

Error: sizeAdvise promise not kept
at doencode.c:194

Error: sizeAdvise promise not kept
at doencode.c:670
Encryption error

For a usage summary, type:  pgp -h
For more detailed help, consult the PGP User's Guide.
ASSERTION FAILED at pgpMemoryMgr.c line 423:
  PGPFreeData(): mgr being freed with outstanding allocations:
  (mgr->numAllocations == 0) not true
wiping file bax2-dir.t.$00
------
I also tried a different version of pgp incase the one I was using was
simply bad. The following it the error output from it:

  2048 bits, Key ID 6A09549D, Created 2003-06-24

Creating output file bax.pgp
ASSERTION FAILED at pgpAddHdr.c line 302:
  (0) not true
SizeAdvise promise not kept
------

I've looked online for similar error msg, and fixes for it. But I've had
little luck. Have any other users experience similar problems? The system is
a FreeBSD 4.6, pgp was installed from ports. Any suggestions or fixes would
be greatly appriciated.

Jambler

1. how to stop IDEA encryption with pgp

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to get pgp to encrypt a message with 3DES or CAST5
instead of IDEA? I've tried adding ciphernum=2 in $HOME/.pgp/pgp.cfg but
that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Also, eventhough I have compiled idea.c.gz and added the binary I'm still
getting the following msg everytime I finished entering my passphrase:

gpg: cipher algorithm 1 (IDEA) is unknown or disabled
gpg: the IDEA cipher plugin is not present
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/why-not-idea.html for more information
gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG-E key, ID 94CD59D5, created 2002-10-07

gpg: public key decryption failed: unknown cipher algorithm
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

Many thanks,

Ed.

2. forgot how server extensions need to get installed

3. PGP Vs PGP Business is the encryption the same ?

4. epson ripoff ink cartridge prices

5. Better Security with PGP 2.6.3 RSAREF or PGP 2.6.3i IDEA???

6. speech recognition

7. PGP plugin 4.9.5 [PGP 7 crash fix and more] for Pegasus Mail released

8. MAX 2012 not using Radius profiles

9. ZIP & UNZIP: Using IDEA or NSEA encryption

10. Hot fix bundle error introduces SQL error

11. integer encryption ideas

12. HOWTO highlight fixed-width data files with VIM?

13. Strange encryption idea