PGP S/MIME PGP/MIME

Post by David Man » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi y'all,
I'm setting up a PGP infrastructure at my company and was wondering what
relationship there is between PGP and SMIME and PGP/MIME. Specifically,
if I create a PGP key, what tools/software is available to let me use
that key to sign MIME messages. If there isn't anything yet, where
should I look for upcoming products? (Note: I understand how NS
Messenger uses SMIME, but I'd rather stick with a PGP based solution
since NS signing doesn't seem to be widely accepted)
Thanks,
David Mann

PGP S/MIME PGP/MIME

Post by Mike Lastuck » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

PGP S/MIME PGP/MIME

Post by David Man » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Mike,
I'm using that method right now, but it only signs the text in the window. I'm
looking for a way to sign the entire message (mime included files as well) without
having to sign them individually. i.e. I don't want to have to sign doc1 & include
doc1 and sig file1, sign doc 2 & include doc2 and sig file2, etc... I'm looking
for a way to sign the *whole* mime message.
Thanks,
DCM

PGP S/MIME PGP/MIME

Post by Mike Lastuck » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

1. PGP, S/MIME, VeriSign, S/MIME & Ceritifcate

PGP is the Pretty Good Privacy program: <URL:http://www.pgpi.org/>. Using
PGP (or any OpenPGP - <URL:ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2440.txt> -
compliant software), a user can manage his own "web of trust".

S/MIME - <URL:http://www.rsasecurity.com/standards/smime/> - is a standard
for sending secure email. It's based on "from the top down" "big brother"
certificate authoritities (CAs) and X.509 certificates. It's often used
with insecurely short (e.g. 40-bit) keys.

VeriSign is the largest CA: <URL:https://www.verisign.com/>.

A certificate is a public key signed by someone who certifies that the key
belongs to the person whose name it carries.

I prefer PGP over S/MIME because PGP gives me control - I can easily
certify keys myself, as well as decide whom to trust and whom not to
trust. Also, PGP is easy to use from the command line or within scripts.

You can use both PGP and S/MIME software if you want to.

alt.binaries.pgp removed. Follow-ups set.

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.

2. Non-standard tabbed control in VisualC++

3. Programming Guide for Soundcard & CD-ROM

4. S/MIME vs PGP/MIME

5. ADDLNK in QOPT

6. PGP plugin 4.9.4 [improved PGP/MIME and QP handling] for Pegasus Mail released

7. Viper Not doing 'cw'

8. Win2000 + outlook2000 + pgp 7.0.3: PGP mime not working

9. PGP & Eudora: problem replying to PGP/mime e-mail

10. comp.mail.mime meta-FAQ: Help for MIME problems