Newbie Question - Validity & Trust Diagonal Lines

Newbie Question - Validity & Trust Diagonal Lines

Post by George Hit » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 00:07:38

        In PGPkeys, my own validity and trust "bars" have diagonal
        white lines running through the gray.  My friend on HIS
        PGPkeys has the gray bars on his own key, but no diagonal
        lines.

        Could someone please tell us:

        What the diagonal, white lines mean?
        How they got there?

        Thanks !!

        George

Post by Richard Hun » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 00:51:15

Newbie Question - Validity & Trust Diagonal Lines

Post by Gamma300 » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 01:36:01

Quote:

> In PGPkeys, my own validity and trust "bars" have diagonal
> white lines running through the gray.  My friend on HIS
> PGPkeys has the gray bars on his own key, but no diagonal
> lines.

> Could someone please tell us:

> What the diagonal, white lines mean?
> How they got there?

Diagonal white lines mean that the key is trusted implicitly, ie that you
own the key, since you must trust yourself. Implicit trust is set in the key
properties dialogue box.

1. Question on Keyserver Trust and Validity

I am learning how to use PGP and GPG and have read most of the manuals
and FAQs. As a test, I am trying to verify some signatures of usenet
posts.

After I obtain a key from a keyserver, I can verify somebody's message
by matching the signature to their key. However, the initial key that
i use, which i got from the keyserver, is not considered trusted or
valid, so ultimately, GPG tells me that the signature may not truly be
that person's signature.

Assumption: It seems you have to trust the keyserver to somepoint.
Once you verbally confirm that the fingerprints match by talking to
the key owner over the phone, or something like that, how do you set
their key to be completely trusted and valid?

I was able to set the TRUST level to full, but the key still reads f/-
 and still does not appear to get rid of this error message:

gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.

How do I overcome this trust/validity issue? How do you change the
validity of the key? I don't understand the difference between trust
and validity.

Thank you

2. Cell Phones in the Air

3. Trust and Validity

4. Horizontal Development

5. Validity and trust

6. Voicemail

7. Adjusting Trust Needed for Validity in PGP 5.5.3a

8. Transparenz ist das Mindeste

9. (Bug) Trust & DSS Trusted introducer singed keys

10. Microtek X6 - Diagonal lines

11. Summary - PROC GPLOT: add a diagonal line

12. PROC GPLOT: add a diagonal line

13. Connector with diagonal lines