GnuPG Keys Binary?

Post by kese » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 02:57:50

Hello,

I recently tried out a "free software" version of PGP called GnuPG
(www.gnupg.org). It is command-line based, which I don't mind, but for
some reason keys are being generated with funny looking characters,
the same way binary text looks when opened in a text editor. I don't
think I did anything wrong. I typed 'gpg --key-gen' and answered the
questions. But when I opened us the pubring.gpg file (and the other
.gpg file), it did not look like normal PGP encryption. I am using the
Windows port of GnuPG, if that matters.

Also, is GnuPG better than PGP 6.x?

GnuPG Keys Binary?

Post by Adam » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:21:31

Quote:> Hello,

> I recently tried out a "free software" version of PGP called GnuPG
> (www.gnupg.org). It is command-line based, which I don't mind, but for
> some reason keys are being generated with funny looking characters,
> the same way binary text looks when opened in a text editor. I don't
> think I did anything wrong. I typed 'gpg --key-gen' and answered the
> questions. But when I opened us the pubring.gpg file (and the other
> .gpg file), it did not look like normal PGP encryption. I am using the
> Windows port of GnuPG, if that matters.

Most of the gpg commands produce binary output unless you use the -a or
--armor option, e.g.

$ gpg --export-key 12345678

produces binary output, whereas

$ gpg -a --export-key 12345678