Help with PGP versions please.

Post by DCIFRTH » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:59:39

I am interested in purchasing version 7.0.3, but I am concerned about the
lack of source code available. Does anyone have an opinion on this subject?

Also, on NAI's site, there is no Hotfix available for 7.0.3. Any idea why?
Can the Hotfix on PGPI be applied to the NAI retail version?

Post by Johan Wever » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:51:21

> I am interested in purchasing version 7.0.3, but I am concerned about the
> lack of source code available. Does anyone have an opinion on this subject?

Yes, many people do. Many people, like me, will simply not use a closed-source
version, ever.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:

Post by Johan Wever » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:20:24

>> Yes, many people do. Many people, like me, will simply not use a
>> closed-source version, ever.
> Yes, and many idiots like me and Phil Zimmermann will use v7.0.3.  :-)

Which is already not the latest version. Did anyona see PKZ use any
later version?

Also, Phil Zimmermann has probably seen the source for 7.0.3. I assume
he even has that source himself. Further, he used it for public signing
- but I don't know if he also uses it for confidentional encrypted
communication.

Besides, living in the USA, I assume he would be sued by NAI when he
started using an lower, open-source version because that would result
in a severe loss of sale for NAI. After all, noone would trust the 7.x
versions anymore when PKZ would use 6.x. In fact, I even wonder why he
doesn't do this anyway as a form of protest, to teach NAI that going
closed source is not the right way.

Except from his short statements, he has further kept _very_ silent
about the matter. Too silent IMO. I'm not sure what to think of this
matter.

Anyway, there are also other reasons for me not to use NAI pgp, or even
the CKT builds: since I use it mostly on Linux and only rarely on win32,
I prefer GnuPG, which is more Unix minded.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:

Help with PGP versions please.

Post by Anonymou » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:03:00

1. Help Please again... disregard first version please....

Hello!
Is there a kind soul out there that could help with this question?

In this spreadsheet, I put in vendor costs for comparison to see who is
the lowest per line item.  Each vendor has many manufacturers so the name
will change often.  What I am trying to do is have Excel put in the cell
next to the lowest price cell (=min(b2,d2,f2,)the name that is listed to
the left of that price. (whether it is a2,c2,e2,).

Any suggestions?

tia,

mjc

I'll try that again... sorry the attachment didn't work...

vendor1 price vendor2 price vendor3 price  lowest price   who is lowest?
_______|_____|_______|_____|_______|______|______________|_______________|
me      100.00 you    75.00  him    50.00  =min(b1,d1,d1)(how do I write?)

I hope that was clear...

Thanks,
mjc

2. *** DOVER RPC RAM PRICES ***

3. PGP Version Recommendation, please

4. HP 850C black text problem

5. PGP 7, Twofish, and previous PGP versions

6. using terminal Server client and Print on the local machine

7. PGP Hacking - Outside US version - Commercial version

8. Wireless via serial port and cell

9. Help with PGP Ms-Dos version

10. Old version WinRunner < Version 6 wanted please.........

11. Help please ! Convert - PGP - GnuPP - P12 - Outlook

12. Please help newbie with pgp simple use????