Version of PGP for Outlook 98?

Post by bmk » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I recently downloaded Outlook 98 Beta 2.  When started, Outlook 98 warns
that my PGP 5.0 Plug-in is out of date and designed for an older version.  I
normally just continue and have not had any problems.
But I was wondering if a more recent version of PGP has been released which
is more compatible with Outlook 98?  If not, when may I expect a new
release?

Bruce

Version of PGP for Outlook 98?

Post by Anthony E. Gree » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

P.S. PGP 5.5 (freeware) users will not be able to verify this
signature, although I can verify theirs. PGP 5.0 users can talk
to everyone. See link below.

 Use PGP -- Envelopes and Signatures for Email
 What is PGP? <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/pgp/>
 My PGP Key: <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/pgp/agreene.key>
 FREEWARE Win95 PGP 5.0: <http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html>

Version of PGP for Outlook 98?

Post by GF Schoell » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I recently downloaded Outlook 98 Beta 2.  When started, Outlook 98 warns
> that my PGP 5.0 Plug-in is out of date and designed for an older version.  I
> normally just continue and have not had any problems.
> But I was wondering if a more recent version of PGP has been released which
> is more compatible with Outlook 98?  If not, when may I expect a new
> release?

> Bruce

Version of PGP for Outlook 98?

Post by Scott Gullickse » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I've been running Outlook 98 for awhile now and have just installed PGP
5.5.3, however, there's no icons or menu for PGP anywhere in Outlook.  As
far as I have read in the newsgroup, others had it working in OL98Beta.  Is
this true?  Any suggestions on how to "register" it in Outlook 98?

Scott Gullicksen
University of Georgia

Post by Scott Gullickse » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I've been running Outlook 98 for awhile now and have just installed PGP
5.5.3, however, there's no icons or menu for PGP anywhere in Outlook.  As
far as I have read in the newsgroup, others had it working in OL98Beta.  Is
this true?  Any suggestions on how to "register" it in Outlook 98?

Scott Gullicksen
University of Georgia

1. Funny encryption problem with PGP 5.5.5 Outlook pluging and Outlook 98

Okay, I'll admit first of all that the PGP 5.5.5 plugin for Outlook
gives a preliminary warning about not being made for Outlook 98 when it
loads.  I sent an encoded message to myself and picked it up with
Netscape's mail program, to test and see if the new Netscape 4.5 has any
built-in PGP/MIME recognision.  Amazingly enough, it displayed my
message, even with the HTML formatting included.

I thought "rock on!" when I remembered that it shouldn't be able to
decrypt the message because Netscape was running on a different machine
that didn't yet have my new key.  I went to the message and did a View
Source on the message.  Outlook 98 sent two versions of the e-mail
message: plain and HTML-encoded.  (I do that typically so I can format
my e-mail message but offer backward compatibility for those who can't
view HTML.)

The plain-text message looked all ciphered up, but then immediately
below it was the HTML-encoded message with no PGP encrypting at all!  In
other words, if anyone uses Outlook 98 (and someone might want to check
the behavior of Outlook Express for this) and sends dual plaint
text/HTML-encoded mail, they should check and make sure that the entire
message is indeed being encrypted.

And alas, I'm going to guess that Netscape (Linux especially) has no
PGP/MIME provisions yet.  I hope the Mozilla contributors find some time
to play with that...

Murray Todd Williams

2. What can i put in an Internet Setup File?

3. PGP and Outlook 98 on network

4. GetWindowText problems

5. Microsoft Outlook 98 & PGP 6.0.2i

6. Batch File!!!

7. PGP & Outlook 98 recipient address not verified message

8. problem with orbix generated OLE code

9. Outlook 98 and PGP 6.0.2 with the Word editor in mail produces errors

10. PGP 5.0 and Outlook 98

11. PGP 6.0.2/Outlook 98 email decryption problem

12. Pass Phrase PGP 6.0 and Outlook 98

13. Problems with attachment encryption in Outlook 98 with PGP for Business Security 6.0