Encrypting big files

Post by H?kon Nordl » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:02:04

Hi all

I need for commercial use software to encrypt and send quite big
files/catalogues (approx. 50 - 600 MB). Is (a commercial version of) PGP the
right choice for this, or should I search other products.?

Haakon

Encrypting big files

Post by S├ębastien SAUVAG » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:18:28

Quote:> Hi all

> I need for commercial use software to encrypt and send quite big
> files/catalogues (approx. 50 - 600 MB). Is (a commercial version of)
> PGP the right choice for this, or should I search other products.?

Maybe encrypted volumes ?  Like E4M (http://www.e4m.net).

Very secure, and you don't have to decrypt/encrypt each time you want to
access the file.

--
Sbastien SAUVAGE
sebsauvage at sebsauvage dot net

Encrypting big files

Post by Thomas J. Boschlo » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:35:20

> Hi all

> I need for commercial use software to encrypt and send quite big
> files/catalogues (approx. 50 - 600 MB). Is (a commercial version of) PGP the
> right choice for this, or should I search other products.?

GnuPG is free for commercial use <http://www.gnupg.org>. You could use
'conventional' encryption and the receivers could use any modern version
of PGP they would like.

Since you will only be needing symmetric encryption (without public and
private keys), you could use almost any encryption program with a good
cypher. TinyIDEA comes to mind, which is very small and can be run from
ms-dos, but there must be many others around.

Thomas

Encrypting big files

Post by H?kon Nordl » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 02:49:55

Thanks Thomas, for good and to-the-point advice. Actually, yesterday I found
and installed GnuPG (with WinPT), and I think it may suit my needs allright.

(OK, I tried to send this reply to Thomas only, and realised what a true
newbie I am....)

Thanks again!

H?kon

> > Hi all

> > I need for commercial use software to encrypt and send quite big
> > files/catalogues (approx. 50 - 600 MB). Is (a commercial version of) PGP
the
> > right choice for this, or should I search other products.?

> GnuPG is free for commercial use <http://www.gnupg.org>. You could use
> 'conventional' encryption and the receivers could use any modern version
> of PGP they would like.

> Since you will only be needing symmetric encryption (without public and
> private keys), you could use almost any encryption program with a good
> cypher. TinyIDEA comes to mind, which is very small and can be run from
> ms-dos, but there must be many others around.

> Thomas

Encrypting big files

Post by Thomas J. Boschlo » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 23:30:17

Encrypting big files

Post by Roger Marqui » Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:32:06

>I need for commercial use software to encrypt and send quite big
>files/catalogues (approx. 50 - 600 MB). Is (a commercial version of) PGP the
>right choice for this, or should I search other products.?

I encrypt/decrypt files 2GB and larger all the time (Solaris 2.8,
Pretty Good Privacy(tm) 2.6.2 - Philip Zimmermann, Phil's Pretty Good
Software. 11 Oct 94).  Why be concerned with commerciality over
functionality?

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting