MacPGP and ResEdit ?

Post by Lin » Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:00:00

MacPGP and ResEdit ?

Post by Martijn Tipk » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I have a client who needs to change the font displayed in the
> MacPGP 2.6.3 "PGP Messages". I can not find the Resource used to do this with
> ResEdit. Now I am not a ResEdit expert, nor do I want to become one. But
> this should be easy, right.

Dear Lin Mu,

Unfortunately, this is still hardly to do since MacPGP still seems to suffer
from the original DOS-to-Mac port of the original PGP source code. There's no
such thing as a default font selector or a ATM screen-PostScript implementation
included in this crypto application, as you already may have noticed. MacPGP
isn't programmed by graphical designers ;-)

I'm using MacPGPi, but so far as I know the font resourse in ResEdit is the same
in each MacPGP strain. Look in ResEdit for a resource-icon called "NFNT", this
contains the only font used by MacPGP. When you try to open this resource in
ResEdit, you likely get two very * warnings:

      1.  "You can change the look of individual characters but don't
          change the ascent or decent of the font or the width of the
          characters or you will damage the 'NFNT'

(Which means: You can only change the font type, but not the font dimensions :(

      2.  "When you edit a font on a monitor displaying more than 2 colors
          or shades, your changes will not be reflected in the sample text"

(Which means: You cannot see what you are doing when editing, unless you set you
monitor color back to black-and-white :(

If you ignore those two warnings you get a graphical editor which allows you to
edit (manually) all font appearances. Unfortunately, this means that you have to
edit the whole basic ASCII-set. This is practically impossible to accomplisch
within a reasonable amount of time.

But maybe it is possible to implement another NFNT resource with better fonts in
MacPGP by using ResEdit, as you already seem to indicate:

Quote:> Is it that MacPGP 2.6.3 uses Mac textedit? So Where do I find this

I have never heard of "Mac textedit", I can't find it on the Net or in well
known Macintosh FTP-archives. Do you refer to TextEdit?  This includes such
common programs as Eudora, NewsWatcher and SimpleText.  You can test whether an
application uses TextEdit by simply control clicking somewhere in the text. It
it does nothing, chances are the application does not use TextEdit.

Anyway,

I also want to get rid of that ugly and  small font which is in current use, so
please let me know if you succeed somehow.

__ Martijn

2048/0x3D755F25
13 7E C3 BB B5 34 0C 1D  24 AA F6 CD 88 C3 1C AE

1. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

I have a HP Scanjet 4c which I would like to connect to a Windows NT
machine - The machine keeps reporting that the scanner is not connected,
though the scsi driver recognises the device.
Any Ideas?
Many thanks

2. need help with Ven-Tel 1200-1 modem

3. Fractions, Resedit & Quark

4. What are std/pro Visual C++ diffs?

5. Help With Resedit

6. Looking for Diagnostic Utils

7. ResEdit (Mac) Question

8. Transfer Terminal Services CAL on Win98 pc.

9. Question about ResEdit

10. MacPGP help, please!

11. MacPGP

12. Uncompleteness of language module for MacPGP

13. Help! Can't get MacPGP to work!