Netscape plug-ins in the foreseeable future?

Netscape plug-ins in the foreseeable future?

Post by Tony Svanstr » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm an avid user of PGP 5.0 and don't really want to add Eudora to my
> home computer. Has anyone seen any news of
> a plug-in for Netscape?

Why do you need it? Can't you just write the text and then sign it and
copy it back into the message (you don't even have to bother with the
copy/paste-stuff...)?

        /Tony

--
My public PGPkey can be found at http://tls.base.org/
Fp: A9A7 89E5 49F9 8C54 044C  4CFB 44E2 0A0D FAB3 6DFB

Netscape plug-ins in the foreseeable future?

Post by Frank S. Kriege » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Call me a lazy man. I just enjoy having things together. (seamless
integration).

Netscape plug-ins in the foreseeable future?

Post by jevop » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

> I'm an avid user of PGP 5.0 and don't really want to add Eudora to my
> home computer. Has anyone seen any news of
> a plug-in for Netscape?

I'm currently working on a PlugIn, using my pgp-frontend and pgp-dll
(jvppgp). When pgp 5.0i is availale for Windows, I try to add pgp
5.0-support. I'm doing my best and I hope to finsh the PlugIn in two
weeks. Look at: http://www.gwdg.de/~jpilgri/jvppgp

The PlugIn needs Netscape 4.0x!

Cheerio

jens

Post by David Sternligh » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > I'm an avid user of PGP 5.0 and don't really want to add Eudora to my
> > home computer. Has anyone seen any news of
> > a plug-in for Netscape?

> Why do you need it? Can't you just write the text and then sign it and
> copy it back into the message (you don't even have to bother with the
> copy/paste-stuff...)?

My experience is that PGP 5.x, at least 5.0, is poorly integrated with
Netscape, and many menu options simply don't work. PGP 2.x does, however,
via the clipboard, and one can always launch the PGP 5.0 PGP tools
application. That is considerably more inconvenient than using the menu
bar PGP icon. (Mac version. YMMV.) A Netscape plug-in is definitely needed
if PGP is to gain its full share of that market.

David

Post by Ed Sto » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > > I'm an avid user of PGP 5.0 and don't really want to add Eudora to my
> > > home computer. Has anyone seen any news of
> > > a plug-in for Netscape?

> > Why do you need it? Can't you just write the text and then sign it and
> > copy it back into the message (you don't even have to bother with the
> > copy/paste-stuff...)?

> My experience is that PGP 5.x, at least 5.0, is poorly integrated with
> Netscape, and many menu options simply don't work.

Can you name one, specifically? I've seen no such problem, and possibly I can
help, if you'll advise which specific menu option "simply doesn't work"? ;-)

Quote:> PGP 2.x does, however,
> via the clipboard, and one can always launch the PGP 5.0 PGP tools
> application. That is considerably more inconvenient than using the menu
> bar PGP icon. (Mac version. YMMV.) A Netscape plug-in is definitely needed
> if PGP is to gain its full share of that market.

Putting a strong crypto module on Netscape is like putting a machine gun on a
jello parapet. But, yes, some will want to do it anyway.

--
-------------------------------
Ed Stone

remove "-birdname" spam avoider
-------------------------------

Netscape plug-ins in the foreseeable future?

> > > Why do you need it? Can't you just write the text and then sign it and
> > > copy it back into the message (you don't even have to bother with the
> > > copy/paste-stuff...)?

> > My experience is that PGP 5.x, at least 5.0, is poorly integrated with
> > Netscape, and many menu options simply don't work.

> Can you name one, specifically? I've seen no such problem, and possibly I can
> help, if you'll advise which specific menu option "simply doesn't work"? ;-)

(Mac version of free 5.0, with Netscape Communicator)

Decryption via the PGP menu option. There is every indication that a message has
been successfully decrypted, but the result disappears into a black hole.

Adding keys by reading a public key with the decryption option. You have to
launch PGP keys  and then import the key, which you have to have previously
saved as a file, to get new keys into your ring. You can't do it on the fly from
a message containing a key.

David

Netscape plug-ins in the foreseeable future?

Post by Anthony E. Gree » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:23:07 -0500, "Frank S. Krieger"

>I'm an avid user of PGP 5.0 and don't really want to add Eudora to my
>home computer. Has anyone seen any news of
>a plug-in for Netscape?

I haven't seen anything definite from PGP Inc. I simply use the
Clipboard functions in PGPTray. It works fine with Netscape Navigator
3.02.

Tony

 Use PGP -- Envelopes and Signatures for Email
 What is PGP? <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/pgp/>
 My PGP Key: <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/pgp/agreene.key>
 FREEWARE Win95 PGP 5.0: <http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html>

Netscape plug-ins in the foreseeable future?

Post by Anthony E. Gree » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997 02:21:42 -0800, David Sternlight

>My experience is that PGP 5.x, at least 5.0, is poorly integrated with
>Netscape, and many menu options simply don't work. PGP 2.x does, however,
>via the clipboard, and one can always launch the PGP 5.0 PGP tools
>application. That is considerably more inconvenient than using the menu
>bar PGP icon. (Mac version. YMMV.) A Netscape plug-in is definitely needed
>if PGP is to gain its full share of that market.

>David

While I don't have any problems with functionality in the Win95 version,
I agree with your assessment of the need for a Netscape plugin.

This is scary...

 Use PGP -- Envelopes and Signatures for Email
 What is PGP? <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/pgp/>
 My PGP Key: <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/pgp/agreene.key>
 FREEWARE Win95 PGP 5.0: <http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html>

1. Need pgp 5.0 freeware plug-ins for Netscape mail

You will highly appreciated if you tell me where I can get "pgp 5.0
freeware plug-ins for Netscape". Please give me an email copy when you
reply this message.

Thanks in advance.
--
===================================
Mike Wang

Tel:    (86)21-63747668 x 3932
Fax:    (86)21-63743780 or 63743788

===================================

2. Korg OASYS??

3. Any Terminal Plug-ins for Netscape Navigator ???

4. NW 4.11 time jumping forward

5. plug-ins for Netscape?

6. NN and Dots and Boxes

7. Design plug-in with Acrobat plug-ins SDK

8. UNPAK.EXE

9. Scanning plug-ins

10. Mirrowind OXM Disc, Plug-Ins, Patches

11. HomeSeer plug-ins

12. Reward for NExS Spreadsheet Plug-Ins

13. Creating Excel Plug-Ins: Latest Info?