Buying PGP 8.0 direct from Phil Zimmermann

Buying PGP 8.0 direct from Phil Zimmermann

Post by <noem.. » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 11:19:51

I notice on Phil's web site that he is a PGP reseller. So you can buy PGP
8.0 directly from the originator of this software, and put a few well
deserved bucks in Phil's pocket at no additional cost to you. The same
delivery and support provisons apply.

See http://www.philzimmermann.com/sales.shtml

Phil is the guy who took the genie out of the bottle at great personal
risk, and for all the right reasons. A hero in privacy rights and popular
crypto. Buying strong crypto from Phil directly is a good thing.

Post by Thor Kotteli » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 17:57:28

> I notice on Phil's web site that he is a PGP reseller. So you can buy PGP
> 8.0 directly from the originator of this software

No, I can't. I tried, but the shopping cart application complains about my
credit card billing address. I can't remember when that would have happened
to me before, and I've bought stuff on the web for years. The stupid thing
doesn't even provide an option to proceed, e.g. "click here to have your
transaction processed manually, we will contact you by email". Pretty
user-hostile.

Follow-ups narrowed.

Thor

--
http://thorweb.anta.net/           OH2GDF

                    PGP public key available

Buying PGP 8.0 direct from Phil Zimmermann

Post by Mike » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 00:36:56

Quote:> I notice on Phil's web site that he is a PGP reseller. So you can buy
> PGP 8.0 directly from the originator of this software, and put a few
> well deserved bucks in Phil's pocket at no additional cost to you. The
> same delivery and support provisons apply.

> See http://www.philzimmermann.com/sales.shtml

> Phil is the guy who took the genie out of the bottle at great personal
> risk, and for all the right reasons. A hero in privacy rights and
> popular crypto. Buying strong crypto from Phil directly is a good
> thing.

I would love to but when I got to the page asking me for a credit card
number I noticed that the page is not secure.  I don't think I want to
place an order using an page without secutiry.

Post by Doc.Cyphe » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 01:32:32

>> I notice on Phil's web site that he is a PGP reseller. So you can buy
>> PGP 8.0 directly from the originator of this software, and put a few
>> well deserved bucks in Phil's pocket at no additional cost to you. The
>> same delivery and support provisons apply.

>> See http://www.philzimmermann.com/sales.shtml
>I would love to but when I got to the page asking me for a credit card
>number I noticed that the page is not secure.  I don't think I want to
>place an order using an page without secutiry.

to the "Place order without account" page, and the URL of the lower frame
where you enter your details started https://www.abswebservices.net...

Someone should let Phil know that the site gives the impression of being
insecure because of the frames. I'd hate to see him lose sales because of
it.

Doc.
--
The bigger the humbug, the better people will like it.
~ Phineas Taylor Barnum.                             https://vmsbox.cjb.net

Post by Axolotl » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 10:22:36

> > I notice on Phil's web site that he is a PGP reseller. So you can buy
> > PGP 8.0 directly from the originator of this software, and put a few
> > well deserved bucks in Phil's pocket at no additional cost to you. The
> > same delivery and support provisons apply.

> > See http://www.philzimmermann.com/sales.shtml

> > Phil is the guy who took the genie out of the bottle at great personal
> > risk, and for all the right reasons. A hero in privacy rights and
> > popular crypto. Buying strong crypto from Phil directly is a good
> > thing.

> I would love to but when I got to the page asking me for a credit card
> number I noticed that the page is not secure.  I don't think I want to
> place an order using an page without secutiry.

The entire order form, including credit card entry, is fully
encrypted with a key of this fingerprint:
67:77:C8:B7:9E:88:F5:4A:BA:27:1A:D3:5E:21:38:19

The action URL is ssl, and is Action URL:
https://www.abswebservices.net/Merchant2/m
erchant.mv?Session_ID=blah blah blah...

No need to worry. The transaction is encrypted to:

www.abswebservices.net

  Matrix 5 Inc.
  Canoga Park, California, US

                           This Certificate was issued by:
                             Thawte Server CA

                             Certification Services Division
                             Thawte Consulting cc
                             Cape Town, Western Cape, ZA

Buying PGP 8.0 direct from Phil Zimmermann

Post by Meron Lavi » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 18:51:44

He probably wasn't - his mother only wanted to be "good friends" with him.

Lavie

Post by lcs Mixmaster Remaile » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 11:20:05

> neither.....

> i just don't like idolizing anyone or kissing ass,

That is quite good. But possibly you have not yet learned how to
distinguish "kissing ass" and "idolizing" from the simple act of
acknowledging contributions that have added a great deal to
individuals or society as a whole, or from simple expressions of
gratitude. You will need to learn the difference at some point.

Quote:> like a lot of
> starry-eyed morons

We do have to be careful around morons, even the starry-eyed
ones. But particularly the ones filled with acid, bile, self-
absorption and thanklessness.

Quote:> do in this group regarding z.

You are quite sharp, as in "sharper than a serpent's tooth is a
thankless child".

With any luck, and bad aim on the part of those with whom you
come in contact, you'll grow out of it.

Post by Axolotl » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 23:58:20

> yea.....phil listens whenever there is a buck to be made.

Wonder what it takes to get you to listen. Whatever it is has
obviously been lacking up to this point in your stunted
development. Is anger your favorite shield? Just pop the biggest
zits and go to the mall and talk to some people. Wear a non-
black article of clothing. Small steps, but you can do it.

Quote:

> nothing wrong with that.......greed is what drives capitalism.

You mean self-interest, or did you write the book on the point
at which wanting for one's self moves from being self-interest
to being a blight on the society you clearly shun?

  but

Quote:> don't idolize him....he isn't your drinking buddy.

Again, you confuse expressions of gratitude with subordinating
one's self to an idol. You are going to need to recognize a
couple shades of gray in order to move beyond that pre-pubescent
absolutist view of the world.

> On 6 Dec 2002 13:20:31 -0000, Doc.Cypher

> >>Someone should let Phil know that the site gives the impression of being
> >>insecure because of the frames. I'd hate to see him lose sales because of
> >>it.

> >Phil listens. :)

> >The "Click to Buy" link now has the text "Secured with SSL" next to it, and
> >goes to
> >https://www.abswebservices.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Stor...
> >=philzimmermann

> >Doc.

Buying PGP 8.0 direct from Phil Zimmermann

The closest that I've seen to an offensive post from Melissa ;)

Post by Thomas J. Boschlo » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 23:08:43

> * him

Seems that I am the only person here that might agree with you. I don't
hate Phil as a person, but I do think he could have drafted up a better
licensing scheme for the first PGP versions and save the people here a
lot of trouble. It is not like people are using for the use of TCP/IP
after all? So why should people go through all the trouble of learning
to use GnuPG in order to have private conversations? Doesn't sound very
idealistic to me, but hey, who am I to argue. I don't even consider
myself to be a free marketeer ;-)

Thomas

> >I notice on Phil's web site that he is a PGP reseller. So you can buy PGP
> >8.0 directly from the originator of this software, and put a few well
> >deserved bucks in Phil's pocket at no additional cost to you. The same
> >delivery and support provisons apply.

> >See http://www.veryComputer.com/

> >Phil is the guy who took the genie out of the bottle at great personal
> >risk, and for all the right reasons. A hero in privacy rights and popular
> >crypto. Buying strong crypto from Phil directly is a good thing.

--
Douglas Adams, 1978: "The Greek ferry timetables are the greatest work
of sublime fiction ever written this century".

Post by Solb » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:55:53

Buying PGP 8.0 direct from Phil Zimmermann

Post by The Watche » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:55:21

: This seems to be a scam of some sort. Phil isn't the owner of that site.
[..]

:  Domain Name: PHILZIMMERMANN.COM
:
:  Administrative Contact:

:     11 Gilcrease Dr
:     Los Lunas, NM 87031
:     US
:     303-579.4778
:

You're saying this is a scam. Have you phoned or emailed the guy? What did
he say?

The Watcher: