PGP Encrypted List Created

Post by James Roc » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Just as a trial, I've created a PGP list at onelist.com.  The idea
being to thrash out these mechanisms on the onelist host:

1)  Subscribing to list
2)  Getting back message on how to join (with list public key)
3)  Posting encrypted message to list address
4)  Resolving and discussing all list management issues

url: http://www.onlist.com/community/pgp-lists

James - PGP Encryption/Signing Supported

PGP Encrypted List Created

Post by James Roc » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 07:01:56 +0000, James Redfern

>Why?  What's wrong with in here?

Because this is news and it's a totally different mechanism to email
list administration.  The PGP-Lists I've created is to thrash out the
encrypted mail *process* on the *onelist.com* host and also to discuss
encrypted list management (and actually testing encrypted mail
transmissions via a list).

That can't be done with news.  And I suspect AFAIK that sending
cyphertext via news (what public keys would you use?) would be as
unacceptable as is HTML.  News is a plain text transport only (apart
from the binary groups that is).

James - PGP Encryption/Signing Supported

PGP Encrypted List Created

Post by Charles Gall » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Jim,
        The list isn't about discussing PGP, but is a place to test
the idea of a PGP encrypted mailing list, which a few of us are
looking for.  Messages are likely to be on the order of

"Test Message"

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:47:22 +0000, James Redfern

<snip>

Quote:>Get my drift?

<snip>
-- PGP Key on Request
For the Children RKBA!

PGP Encrypted List Created

Post by James Roc » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:47:22 +0000, James Redfern

>What you wrote was "The idea being to thrash out these mechanisms".  I still
>don't see why the open forum of a relevant NG here is not more beneficial than a
>few people over there.

Well I'm being very *practical*, having done lots of system work I
know that the only real way is to test, then discuss.  Test again.
*yawn*.  I've already discovered issues in starting up the list that I
would not have discovered through NG *discussion* alone.

I'm quite happy to post summaries of issues here, from time to time,
if others are interested in what has been learned.

Quote:>I guess what was at the back of my mind was that even here, because of the range
>of views (sometimes diametrically opposed), it's damn difficult to figure out if
>anything approaching a consensus on the right way to do a thing/anything is ever
>achieved.

Well everyone's entitled to their own opinion / approach.  And I don't
profess to being a expert in cryptology.  All I am attempting to do is
practically thrash out the issues of running a list, because I have
some real applications for it in mind.

Practical issues such as:

*       test which email platforms support PGP well
*   test for any key format issues
*   anonymity issues, testing these on a list
*   practical limits on manually running a list

Quote:>Taking it to a smaller venue might help in that, but then it starves many of the
>answer, if achieved.  Get my drift?

Well again, my focus is the practical application, what works, what
doesn't etc.  I don't mind feeding back to the list.    What could be
beneficial here in the NG is discussing alternative key models than
that presented in PGP itself (which is my starting point).  Or key
models that are easier to manage long-term (if that is possible).

Bear in mind my list criteria:

*  no programming of system/mail software to run the list
*  list distribution performed at remote address
*  msgs cannot be individually replicated/encrypted

James - PGP Encryption/Signing Supported

1. PGP Encrypted Mailing Lists Issues

I note from the 6.5.1 Int PDF manual that it is possible to
synchronise public key distribution lists with your email package
distribution lists, thus enabling list encryption.

Has anyone here ever done this successfully?

I ask because I am thinking of setting up a confidential email list
(via onelist.com).  I'd imagine the list admin overhead to be quite
high, and the list signon for new subscribers a little daunting.

Also, if admin isn't really meticulous, and all list members don't
have a public key in the PGP distribution list, someone on the list
won't be able to read the list mail (PGP wouldn't know if this
condition existed of course).

I note that in 6.5.1 Int, the group pane DOESN'T list the total number
of list participants.  Now this is going to make list management
difficult, cross-checking against the number of list participants in
one's email package.

2. HELP! Can't receive mail!

3. PGP users list on PGP server

4. WANTED: Classic Home Computers

5. comp.security.pgp.discuss and other PGP news/mailing lists ?

6. Document Management

7. Sorting files by date created and creating an HTML list?

8. Automatic directory of pictures from microsoft.public.msn.discussion

9. Can I create encrypted PDFs using Distiller?

10. Creating encrypted selfextractor using command line???

11. creating table with an encrypted filed

12. Encrypting a vi buffer with PGP - how?