making RSA keys for PGP 5.5

Post by Infojunki » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I was at the PGP site...noticed that they no longer offer PGP 5.0.
Everything has gone to version 5.5 for Win95 and PC users...I went to the
page where I downloaded my RSA upgrade for PGP 5.0 so that I can MAKE and
use both RSA and DSS keys.  It has been changed...no longer offering the
upgrade for 5.0 users...I guess I got lucky, like a lot of other
people...better keep your RSA upgrade safe, because you won't get
another...PGP 5.0 with RSA is a rare bird.

PGP 5.5 will work okay, I guess...one way...you can import RSA keys to PGP
5.5, but you can't make one...right.  So, if that is true...and the other
guy has an RSA only version of PGP...how is he ever going to be able to
encrypt email to you, since he can't handle DSS keys...unless you upgraded
and brought your old RSA key with you...in which case you still have a good
RSA Public key...God help you if you lose it or it becomes compromised....

I guess Phil and the guys want everybody to upgrade, bring their old keys
right along...that way, they will be able to use there own RSA public key
in 5.5...right so far...because, as I see it, 5.5 can make use of an RSA
key, if it already exists...which brings up another subject....

Suppose I make a key pair for someone else...between trusted
friends....then he could use it on 5.5, if he wanted to...am I right about
this...only one problem...how do I separate it from my private key
ring...so that he can have it exclusively, or do I have to make it on a
separate computer so that the secret key ring will contain only his key...

Could I install a second version of 5.0 on another drive in my
machine...separate from my version...just to generate keys for other
people....5.5'ers...just wondering...I mean the address would be
different...the keys would be stored by address...

You guys out there that know...what do you think...I mean, you can transfer
your Private and Public Key Rings...so it sounds like it would work...but,
can someone import a secret key ring, like they do a public
key...automatically...

Just curious...happened to notice the change at the PGP
site...thanks....later........The Infojunkie....

making RSA keys for PGP 5.5

Post by Ron Hei » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>You can export key pairs.  I only am familiar with the Win95 version of 5.5.
>You select the key you want.  Right click on it, select export, if it is a
>keypair and not just a pub key, you will be presented with a check box to
>export the private key along with the pub key.

5.0 will not export the private key. What has to be done is to make a backup
of both keyring files; delete your own key pair(s); create the new key
pair(s); export the public keys for those pairs; copy the private keyring
file with exported pub keys to floppy for the other user; delete both
keyring files and restore them from the backup.

--
Ron.

making RSA keys for PGP 5.5

Post by news.dlcwest.co » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

making RSA keys for PGP 5.5

Post by J. Spellin » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

In this case you could always install PGP 2.6.x again and create a new RSA
key. I use PGP 5.0i which can't create RSA keys, but I have no problems with
that. I imported all my RSA keys, and I can always create new RSA keys with
the old PGP.
--
If you want to write me email, put a dot between the j and the rest.

>encrypt email to you, since he can't handle DSS keys...unless you upgraded
>and brought your old RSA key with you...in which case you still have a good
>RSA Public key...God help you if you lose it or it becomes compromised....

1. creating RSA keys with PGP 5.5.3i / corporate access fiel

hello,
two questiones: 1. if i create a RSA key with 5.5.3i and give the public key
to a 2.6.x user, can he use this public key
                            to encrypt messages ? Are RSA keys made with pgp
5.5.x and 2.6.x different ?
                         2. PGP 5.5.3i introduces a "Corporate Access Field"
with the Dieffie/Hellman method, does a RSA
                             key created with PGP 5.5.3i also contain the
CAF ?
Thanx !
Malte

2. Question on 2 cd-rom

3. PGP 5.5.3a - RSA Support / One Backup Key Copy [11-10)

4. Connect a terminal to a SLIP PC at home?

5. PGP 5.5.3a - RSA Support / One Backup Key Copy [10-25)

6. 256 color bitmap in VC++???

7. PGP 5.5.3a - RSA Support / One Backup Key Copy [9-24)

8. BestPair

9. PGP 5.5.3a - RSA Support / One Backup Key Copy [9-3)

10. PGP 5.5.3a - RSA Support / One Backup Key Copy [8-12)

11. PGP 5.5.3a - RSA Support / One Backup Key Copy [7-22)

12. PGP 5.5.3a - RSA Support / One Backup Key Copy [7-8]

13. PGP 5.5.3a - RSA Support / One Backup Key Copy [6-24]