PGP 8.0.2 ARGH!

Post by CyberCaf » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:18:00

Is there a pgp 8.0.2 expert here?  I feel like a real dummy because
weird things are happening within PGP.

I'm on a PC running Windows XP Pro.  Generally, I use Netscape's e-mail
although for practice purposes, I am also using Outlook.  I am an
independent transcriptionist/typist, and one of my customer's bought two
seats; one for himself, the other for me.  This customer sends me audio
files (.dss digital audio file format created on his dictation device)
as an e-mail file attachment (the e-mail itself is not encrypted, just
the audio files).  I download the files to my computer, but I have not
been able to open any of his encrypted audio recordings.  So he is again
sending me unencrypted audio files until we get this resolved.  Is PSP
able to encrypt digital audio files?  I have been able to encrypt the
documents I've typed and this customer can open them just fine.  I can
also open the files I encrypted.  The program was authorized via e-mail
to/from PGP.

I can't open the private or public keyring files to see what my public
key is.  I tried e-mailing my public key to myself, but I can't open the
file attachment (have used both Netscape and Outlook to try to view my
public key).   I have the customer's public key.   I'm kind of confused
as to how the customer is able to open my encrypted documents without my
public key because I suspect both of us are somehow using the same
public key (don't ask me how that happened because I don't know).  I did
not create a self-decrypting archive.  This customer also knows my
passphrase, and I know his passphrase.  I have not sent my public key to
a host, server, etc., because we don't intend on using PGP for anybody
except this particular customer.

This customer works a thousand miles away from where I work, so I can't
tell if there is some problem on his side as far as encrypting those
audio files, or if I am or have done something wrong on my side (which I
suspect is partially true).   I've worked on these problems for such a
long time, my brain is now totally confused.

Any help or links to sites that have clear directions/tutorials would be
very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!!

Barb

PGP 8.0.2 ARGH!

Post by Jason Ti » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:47:46

\/ \/ \/ Comments in origional message \/ \/ \/

| Is there a pgp 8.0.2 expert here?  I feel like a real
| dummy because weird things are happening within PGP.
|
| I'm on a PC running Windows XP Pro.  Generally, I use
| Netscape's e-mail although for practice purposes, I am
| also using Outlook.  I am an independent
| transcriptionist/typist, and one of my customer's bought
| two seats; one for himself, the other for me.  This
| customer sends me audio files (.dss digital audio file
| format created on his dictation device) as an e-mail file
| attachment (the e-mail itself is not encrypted, just the
| audio files).  I download the files to my computer, but I
| have not been able to open any of his encrypted audio
| recordings.  So he is again sending me unencrypted audio
| files until we get this resolved.  Is PSP able to encrypt
| digital audio files?  I have been able to encrypt the
| documents I've typed and this customer can open them just
| fine.  I can also open the files I encrypted.  The
| program was authorized via e-mail to/from PGP.

Explain Please:

The program was authorized via e-mail to/from PGP.

| I can't open the private or public keyring files to see
| what my public key is.  I tried e-mailing my public key
| to myself, but I can't open the file attachment (have
| used both Netscape and Outlook to try to view my public
| key).   I have the customer's public key.   I'm kind of
| confused as to how the customer is able to open my
| encrypted documents without my public key because I
| suspect both of us are somehow using the same

The public key only encrypts.
The Private key only decrypts.

| public key (don't ask me how that happened because I
| don't know).  I did not create a self-decrypting archive.
|  This customer also knows my passphrase, and I know his
| passphrase.  I have not sent my public key to

Not the best idea to share your passphrase with ANYONE
(noone else EVER needs it anyways)

| a host, server, etc., because we don't intend on using
| PGP for anybody except this particular customer.
|
| This customer works a thousand miles away from where I
| work, so I can't tell if there is some problem on his
| side as far as encrypting those audio files, or if I am
| or have done something wrong on my side (which I

I can't tell you this or what is wrong unless you are more
specific about the exact error message.

Does it say wrong password?
Does it say private key not available?
(Just 2 possibilities - there are more)

I need more information.

| suspect is partially true).   I've worked on these
| problems for such a long time, my brain is now totally
| confused.
|
| Any help or links to sites that have clear
| directions/tutorials would be very much appreciated.
|
| Thanks everyone!!!
|
| Barb

PGP 8.0.2 ARGH!

Post by Thomas Vincen » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:13:47

--

SteelHouse Labs                http://www.steelhouselabs.com
Mac OS X Security Blog:    http:/www.steelhouselabs.com/blog/macsec

PGP 8.0.2 ARGH!

Post by CyberCaf » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:30:38

> > Is there a pgp 8.0.2 expert here?  I feel like a real dummy because
> > weird things are happening within PGP.

> > I'm on a PC running Windows XP Pro.  Generally, I use Netscape's e-mail
> > although for practice purposes, I am also using Outlook.  I am an
> > independent transcriptionist/typist, and one of my customer's bought
> two
> > seats; one for himself, the other for me.  This customer sends me audio
> > files (.dss digital audio file format created on his dictation device)
> > as an e-mail file attachment (the e-mail itself is not encrypted, just
> > the audio files).  I download the files to my computer, but I have not
> > been able to open any of his encrypted audio recordings.  So he is
> again
> > sending me unencrypted audio files until we get this resolved.  Is PSP
> > able to encrypt digital audio files?  I have been able to encrypt the
> > documents I've typed and this customer can open them just fine.  I can
> > also open the files I encrypted.  The program was authorized via e-mail
> > to/from PGP.

> > I can't open the private or public keyring files to see what my public
> > key is.  I tried e-mailing my public key to myself, but I can't open
> the
> > file attachment (have used both Netscape and Outlook to try to view my
> > public key).   I have the customer's public key.   I'm kind of confused
> > as to how the customer is able to open my encrypted documents without
> my
> > public key because I suspect both of us are somehow using the same
> > public key (don't ask me how that happened because I don't know).  I
> did
> > not create a self-decrypting archive.  This customer also knows my
> > passphrase, and I know his passphrase.  I have not sent my public key
> > a host, server, etc., because we don't intend on using PGP for anybody
> > except this particular customer.

> > This customer works a thousand miles away from where I work, so I can't
> > tell if there is some problem on his side as far as encrypting those
> > audio files, or if I am or have done something wrong on my side (which
> > suspect is partially true).   I've worked on these problems for such a
> > long time, my brain is now totally confused.

> > Any help or links to sites that have clear directions/tutorials would
> be
> > very much appreciated.

> > Thanks everyone!!!

> Jason provided some very helpful comments.  I'm headed to bed, but wanted
> to quickly add my initial thoughts.  It sounds like you do not understand
> that you encrypt to each other's public key, and decrypt with your own
> private key.  You should not have each other's passphrase.  I suspect a
> good read of the manual will identify your mistakes.

I guess I'll have to wait for Jason's response to appear on google as our ISP
did not deliver his message.  I only see responses on my newsgroup reader
from you and Tom Vincent.

The sharing of the passphrase was done on purpose because there are only two
of us using PGP, and in case I drop dead, I want someone to be able to access
his files.  I told him we could always change our passphrases if we had to at
some future point.

You're right about reading the manual first.  I didn't find the Adobe manual
until after everything was set up on my side.

Barb
also going to bed cause this is wearing me out

Quote:

> --
> Tom McCune
> My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm

PGP 8.0.2 ARGH!

Post by Frod » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:01:55

PGP 8.0.2 ARGH!

Post by Paul Henrichs » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:16:18

> Is there a pgp 8.0.2 expert here?  I feel like a real dummy because
> weird things are happening within PGP.

> I download the files to my computer, but I have not
> been able to open any of his encrypted audio recordings.  So he is again
> sending me unencrypted audio files until we get this resolved.  Is PSP
> able to encrypt digital audio files?

1. NT 4.0, Adaptec, Sparrow, Umax UC630... Argh!

I am confused.

I had an old UMAX UC630 scanner for Mac which I now want to hook up to a PC
with Adaptec AVA-1515 card and NT 4.0.  Of course, it does not work.  I
tried both MagicScan2.4 and VistaScan2.28 but they both failed, complaining
about SCSI config error.  Tracking it down raised several questions:

1. Event Viewer reports "EventID: 13", "Source: Sparrow", "Description: The
driver was configured with an incorrect interrupt for \Device\ScsiPort2."
First of all, I am not sure what sparrow is, but I just assumed that it is
the right (and necessary) driver for my SCSI card.  When I bring up
WindowsNT diagnostics, however, it shows sparrow with IRQ 11, which is what
the card is set to.  I also have a Zip drive connected to the card, and it
_works_ regardless of the error.  I have no idea why I am getting this
error, whether I should get this error, whether this error is a problem nor
how I can get rid of it.

2. Is this card compatible with Umax UC630 and NT?  It was in the Umax
supported list.  If it is supposed to, and if I get rid of the above
hardware problems, what is the software I am supposed to use with this
scanner?  MagicScan?  VistaScan?  Something else?  Which version?  Umax web
page wasn't clear on NT support for UC630, probably because it is an old
model.

3. This should be possible, right?  Do you see any reason why this should
not work not matter what?

Thanks!

-ak

--

Andrew Kim         | If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.

2. Uninstalling Faxworks

3. argh it's freezing

4. scale models

5. ARGH! Please help guys!

6. date format

7. x-10... argh!

8. How to Create an external search engine?

9. Argh!! Need help opening NeXT cube!

10. ARGH!!! I am so stumped by this.

11. ARGH! 12 illegal operation errors upon startup.

12. Cant steer on the ground anymore ! Argh...

13. ARGH! Distiller 3.0 font problems