PGP and VB

Post by Dallan Mora » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Dear Sir/Madam,
I have a query about using PGP. I have downloaded PGP2.63i from the
internet (I am in Ireland). I am trying to develop some code in
VB4(pro.edition) which will allow some data to have a digital
signature applied and the message encrypted before transmission. I
want to know is it possible to write a procedure in VB that will pass
commands to PGP  so that the encryption of the message would be
automatic,i.e. that the use of PGP would be transparent to a person
running my applicaton.

Also, I would like to store the private key ring and/or the pass
phrase on an external smart card.

I have the following queries:

1) Can I change the default location of the keys? (i.e.to a specific
file
which will hapen to be the Smart Card) and
2) If I use the PGPPASSFD to automatically provide the phrase, is
there any
PGP A.P.I.s to run PGP from a program without requiring any manual
intervention?

I look forward to yuour comments/replies,

Yours faithfully
Dallan Moran

PGP and VB

Post by Robert Geragh » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I have a query about using PGP. I have downloaded PGP2.63i from the
>internet (I am in Ireland). I am trying to develop some code in
>VB4(pro.edition) which will allow some data to have a digital
>signature applied and the message encrypted before transmission.

I presume you mean you want to encrypt an email using PGP before it is
sent.

Quote:>I want to know is it possible to write a procedure in VB that will pass
>commands to PGP so that the encryption of the message would be
>automatic,i.e. that the use of PGP would be transparent to a person
>running my applicaton.

Yes, it's possible - you need to run PGP as a shell process, then you can
supply all the command line parameters in the shell command eg:

CommandString = "C:\PGP\PGP -E TEXTFILE USERID"
hTask = Shell(CommandString, 6)

You'll then need to wait until the shelled process has finished before
continuing with the process of sending the message.

In other words, output the text to be encrypted as a text file, encrypt it
using PGP, then assemble the text file with the signature and send it
using MAPI.  Using the Mail API (MAPI) is likely to be a headache - I'm
sorry, but Microsoft didn't make it easy.

Quote:>1) Can I change the default location of the keys? (i.e.to a specific
>file which will hapen to be the Smart Card) and

I think this is an environment variable in autoexec.bat?

Quote:>2) If I use the PGPPASSFD to automatically provide the phrase, is
>there any PGP A.P.I.s to run PGP from a program without requiring any
>manual intervention?

See above.  I think it may work as a shell process.

Rob
--
---------------------
"Did we make a difference?" James T Kirk, Startrek Generations

1. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

I have a HP Scanjet 4c which I would like to connect to a Windows NT
machine - The machine keeps reporting that the scanner is not connected,
though the scsi driver recognises the device.
Any Ideas?
Many thanks

2. 16-bit GCC?

3. Using pgp in VB

4. CM2 and X25 Cards

5. VB PGP classes

6. New home page focus

7. PGP and VB

8. new here

9. VB and PGP conventional encryption

10. Error in creating PGP dll for use in VB

11. pgp ocx for vb

12. PGP 5.5 DLL and VB/VBScript

13. VB And PGP 7.0.3