PGP disk: Backing up .pgd - files

Post by Sam Simpso » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:41:00

Yes.  You can even mount the disk directly from the CD if:

1) you don't want to write to it (obviously!).

2) The container is FAT or FAT32 and not NTFS.

Rgds,

Sam

Quote:

Post by Sam Simpso » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 00:40:22

> >Yes.  You can even mount the disk directly from the CD if:

> >1) you don't want to write to it (obviously!).

> >2) The container is FAT or FAT32 and not NTFS.

> Thx for the fast reply.

A pleasure.

Quote:> More questions:
> 1)
> Are the files contained within the .pgd-file as secure as if I had
> encrypted the files one by one ?

Yes, around the same security....

Quote:> 2)
> Can I:
> Format my HD, install PGP and then load the .pgd file?

> (Does the .pgd file need anything from the original PGP installment it
> was encrypted with?)

Only you keyring(s) if you have used these rather than a passphrase
directly.

Rgds,

Sam

1. APC Back-UPS Office BURNS!!!

(is this the best group to post this too?)

This is kind of incredible, but this morning our Back-UPS Office from
Feb 99 started burning when we tried to turn it back on.

The full detail: Last night we heard it beeping to itself. The single
home computer it supports wasn't even on, and there was no power surge
in progress (I was in the next room working on another UPS protected
machine which didn't kick in and saw no lights dimming etc). We found
the computer on this Back-UPS Office wouldn't start this AM, and found
the UPS off. We turned it on and the lights just blinked and went out.
We turned it off again and there were a bunch of brilliant white flashes
from inside the unit and then it started smoking. Incredible. This UPS
has had completely benign treatment, and has never been opened up.

This is totally worrysome. I expect APC will send us another one, but I
don't know if I can trust it. My other APC unit is a Back-UPS Pro 650,
and it was discovered to be defective out of warrnty too. It's defect is
that it will not give a low batter signal, even though it tested OK for
that - and when the battery failed, the computer just went down without
any warning.

So of course I'm concerned - two APC units, both of which are seriously
defective. I have to assume this sort of thing must be common with APC.
What is the best alternative out there? IE a UPS that is safe to have in
the house and works.

Thanks
--
Michael Simcich
AccessTools

2. The price of an A4

3. APC Back-UPS comm. cable

4. helens2.dem at ftp-os2.nmsu.edu

5. restoring old back ups

6. Move Win2k from current drive to new (bigger) drive

7. FS APC Smart Back UPS 1200VX

8. ISO: EPSON Standard Code for Image scanners

9. Seagate Tape Back-ups

10. Problem: APC Back UPS Pro - failure during POST

11. hard drive back ups

12. APC Back-UPS with Windows NT (need interface diagram)..THANX