PGP v5.5 Disadvantages

Post by Juny » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am new to PGP and I have heard many people mention the disadvantages
of using PGP v5.5 freeware.  I know that it does not support RSA keys.
I also know that v5.0i *does* support RSA keys, but not generation of
them.  I accidentaly downloaded the corporate version of PGP and
generated 2 keys, one being RSA, the other DH.  I am currently unable
to use the RSA key.  Should I delete it, or should I regress to v5.0i
or earlier so I can have RSA support.  I also saw it mentioned that
there are advantages to the non-GUI versions of PGP prior to v5.0.  Is
there somewhere that these advantages are discussed?  Please point me
to any info on these subjects.  I am currently reading the PGP manual
in my free time and I am about 1/3 of the way through it.  In other
words, I am RTFM, but I haven't finished yet :)  TIA for the info.

Junyor

PGP v5.5 Disadvantages

Post by Juny » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

To tell you the truth, I can't remember where I got it from.  I will
admit to downloading warez from a.b.w.i. but, I haven't a clue where I
got this file.  Believe me or not, but it is the truth.  It wasn't
from that news group.  I made an RSA key with it, is there anyway I
can use the key with v5.5?  I was thinking of paying the $5 to get the
Eudora plugin that will allow the usage of RSA keys, will this
accomplish my goals?

Junyor

>Justin D. Paine
>PGP Key Type: DSS/Diffie-Hellman    Key ID: 0x4A4AA61D  Size: 1024/2048
>Fingerprint: CC15 3F68 F325 2129 DDB7  3F71 F807 4180 4A4A A61D

PGP v5.5 Disadvantages

Post by Gurripa » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am new to PGP and I have heard many people mention the disadvantages
>of using PGP v5.5 freeware.  I know that it does not support RSA keys.
>I also know that v5.0i *does* support RSA keys, but not generation of
>them.  I accidentaly downloaded the corporate version of PGP and
>generated 2 keys, one being RSA, the other DH.  I am currently unable
>to use the RSA key.  Should I delete it, or should I regress to v5.0i
>or earlier so I can have RSA support.

        Either go up to v 5.5 (commercial) or stick to v 5.0.  Many
users of RSA keys keep a copy of the old PGP 2.6.3 for the sole
generation of RSA keys.  I have never used v5.5 freeware, so I cannot
comment.  But many guys are complaining about it, so I get the
impression that you are better of with 5.0 freeware than with 5.5
freeware.
        As about the "accidental" download of PGP 5.5 commercial (if
that is what you mean with "corporate version"), do not be so shy.  I
do have a copy, and I am outside the USA.  I got it from a Norwegian
server.  I would be glad to pay in order to register, but as it is an
illegally-exported version, how do I do it?

Quote:>  I also saw it mentioned that
>there are advantages to the non-GUI versions of PGP prior to v5.0.  Is
>there somewhere that these advantages are discussed?  Please point me
>to any info on these subjects.  I am currently reading the PGP manual
>in my free time and I am about 1/3 of the way through it.  In other
>words, I am RTFM, but I haven't finished yet :)  TIA for the info.
>Junyor

        One more thing: do not get the idea, as many folks say, that
RSA keys's days are numbered.  There is so many people using it, I
think they will remain with us for still a long time

PGP v5.5 Disadvantages

Post by Anthony E. Gree » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

P.S. PGP 5.5 (freeware) users will not be able to verify this
signature, although I can verify theirs. PGP 5.0 users can talk
to everyone. See link below.

 Use PGP -- Envelopes and Signatures for Email
 What is PGP? <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/pgp/>
 My PGP Key: <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/pgp/agreene.key>
 FREEWARE Win95 PGP 5.0: <http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html>