GnuPG 1.2.2 - Decrypting multiple files from a single PGP file

GnuPG 1.2.2 - Decrypting multiple files from a single PGP file

Post by c » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 02:29:36

We have upgraded from PGP 7.0.1 to GnuPG 1.2.2 for PGP file
decryption.

With PGP 7.x, we were able to execute the command:

c:\pgp -o file file.pgp

And after entering the passphrase, PGP decrypted one or more files
from the encrypted PGP file, similar to this:

file
file1
file2

Using GnuPG 1.2.2, we are experiencing a 'bad packet' error, and only
getting the first file:

file

And no subsequent files.

Is there a setting in GPG that allows for the decryption of multiple
files from a single PGP encrypted file?

I've scanned the docs but haven't seen anything.  The only switch I'm
turning on is the -o option.  I did remove the passphrase when
importing the keys into GPG, and PGP decryption works.

Would that have an effect on the process?

Thanks

Chip

Post by Neil W Ricker » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 04:20:44

>We have upgraded from PGP 7.0.1 to GnuPG 1.2.2 for PGP file
>decryption.
>With PGP 7.x, we were able to execute the command:
>c:\pgp -o file file.pgp
>And after entering the passphrase, PGP decrypted one or more files
>from the encrypted PGP file, similar to this:
>file
>file1
>file2
>Using GnuPG 1.2.2, we are experiencing a 'bad packet' error, and only
>getting the first file:

I think it is trying to decrypt the concatenation of the input
files.

Try

        gpg --decrypt-files file1 file2 ...

GnuPG 1.2.2 - Decrypting multiple files from a single PGP file

Post by c » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:51:47

Quote:> >Using GnuPG 1.2.2, we are experiencing a 'bad packet' error, and only
> >getting the first file:

> I think it is trying to decrypt the concatenation of the input
> files.

> Try

>    gpg --decrypt-files file1 file2 ...

Does this not imply that I want to decrypt multiple files?  For ex.,
File1.pgp, File2.pgp, etc.

What I have is a file, let's call it File1.pgp, that contains 3 .ZIP
files, Zipfile1.zip, Zipfile2.zip, Zipfile3.zip.  In PGP 7.x+, I get
the following when decrypting:

pgp -o zipfile File1.pgp

Zipfile1
Zipfile2
Zipfile3

(I have a process that runs afterwards and renames all files to .ZIP
extension)

With gpg 1.2.2, I get:

gpg -o zipfile File1.pgp

Zipfile1 (one valid zip file)
<bad packet error, no more file extracted>

So, my question is, how can I make GnuPG decrypt multiple files out of
a single .PGP encrypted file.

I'd hate to have to go back to PGP for this solution...

Thanks

Chip

Post by Adam » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:19:39

>> >Using GnuPG 1.2.2, we are experiencing a 'bad packet' error, and only
>> >getting the first file:

>> I think it is trying to decrypt the concatenation of the input
>> files.

>> Try

>> gpg --decrypt-files file1 file2 ...

> Does this not imply that I want to decrypt multiple files?  For ex.,
> File1.pgp, File2.pgp, etc.

Yes, I've just tried this. I had never noticed this before but it's very
useful.

gpg --decrypt-files foo.gpg bar.gpg fubar.gpg

asks for the passphrase only as often as necessary (i.e. once if they're
all encrypted to the same key) and produces file foo, bar and fubar.

Quote:> What I have is a file, let's call it File1.pgp, that contains 3 .ZIP
> files, Zipfile1.zip, Zipfile2.zip, Zipfile3.zip.  In PGP 7.x+, I get
> the following when decrypting:

I don't think GnuPG uses this kind of file. (Someone please correct me if
I'm wrong!) When I want to encrypt several files together, I use tar first
then gpg the *.tar file.

What PGP command line did you use to put them together?

1. PGP Wireless PocketPC: Wrong file extension at decrypted files

Hi NG,

I'm using PGP Wireless 1.6.0 on my iPAQ (H36xx, ROM V1.77). I have the
following problem. When I'm decrypt text files on my iPAQ which I have
encrypted on my desktop PC (using PGP 7.1), the filename of the
decrypted file doesn't change to it's normal name (i.e. encrpyted
file: filename.txt.asc  normal name: filename.txt). So after
decrypting the file with PGP Wireless the filename is still
filename.txt.asc. But I'm not able to change the filename to
filename.txt, because the file explorer of the Pocket PC doesn't show
the real file extension. Only when I connect the iPAQ to my desktop PC
using ActiveSync I can change the file extension. When I have done
this, I'm able to open the textfile on my iPAQ (in the other case
(with the wrong extension) the iPAQ opens PGP Wireless and this tells
me, that it can not open the file because of an invalid file format.
:-(

Well this is one kind of workaround, but not very practical because I
have bought the PPC to not carry around a notebook. A other workaround
would be in using a different file explorer on the iPAQ, with which I
can view and change the real file extension. But it is a workaround.
Does someone know a other workaround or knows of a new patch of PGP
Wireless, where this bug is solved?

If have tried to contact the support of NAI. But they suck! The send
me some automatik reply, which told me to contact McAfee Support (seem
now to be the homeuser section of NAI). But on there website they have
no clue of PGP Wireless!!!

Thanx4Help
Simon

2. Info on SUN 2/120

3. PGP 5.0 decrypting/veriftying a file and location of temporary file

4. Somewhat simple question on tables.

5. how to join multiple parts of a pdf file to a single file?

6. Problem with alltt package and color change

7. How can I combine multiple PDF Files to one single file ?

8. Problem with Z Modem

9. Concatinating multiple files under a single file name in CMS

10. Multiple MS Word document files to be combined into a single file

11. Combining Multiple Files in single file

12. How to create single compressed file with .dr_ extension from same file in a .cab file

13. Decryptin multiple files with gnupg