Newbie Q

Post by cajone » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:49:19

Newbie Q

Post by Gamma300 » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:11:51

Quote:> What is the difference between public and private keys, how are they
> used, cant find the info anywhere.

The information is all over the place, you're just not reading it. Look at
the manual. In short:
The public key is the bit you give everyone, hence the name. People who want
to encrypt data to you encrypt it to the public key. It's also used to
decrypt data encrypted with your private key (ie signatures).
The private key, obviously, is the bit you keep private. Thats the bit that
you use to decrypt data that has been encrypted with your public key, and to
encrypt hashes of data that you want signing.

1. Newbie Qs: X10 and Security Opinions

Hello All!

Greetings from a chronic gadget geek but
X10 newbie.  I am interested in automating my house with
X10, and particularly interested in including X10
functionality in a home security system.  My newbie
questions:

-Is there an intro/FAQ on X10 systems?  I would like to get an idea of
what to expect (reliability, functionality) from a non-commercial
source.

-Is X10 suitable for use in the primary alarm system?  Can X10 signals
be received over a line
with *no* AC (like if the power line was cut)?

-I am currently looking at the "Power" alarm system from smarthome.com
Care to share any experiences, advice, or comments?

-Any good links or resources for learning the X10
ropes?

Thanks in advance for tolerating my drooling cluelessness!  ;)

Best,

George

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Need Help: Running MLPPP on Suse 6.1

3. newbie Qs on marks

4. FileSelector (again)

5. Newbie Qs. Best starter system, which won't become obsolete soon.

6. Publishing and Reading!

7. Newbie: 5 Qs About Subsumption

8. EA loaders...anyway to hack / disable them for emulators?

9. couple of quick Qs re mechanics of scanners

10. QSCAN Konica Film/Slide Scanner (QS-1202E)

11. Minolta QS-35 scanner

12. Novice scanner Qs

13. qs about XBL BETA