WURLs

Post by Sam Hobb » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 02:44:24

Any suggestions for locking on MSDN links so they are less likely to change?

I define a WURL as being a Windows long URL, and the MSDN has plenty. I
accept that such things are a necessary symptom of bureacracy.

Something else that is frustrating is that WURLs are a moving target; I
created a web site with nice links to the MSDN, then a few months ago all
the links changed. I think the reorganized Platform SDK is difficult to use,
so I avoided revising the links in my web site, since the possibility that
they will change again soon seemed to me to be significant enough, and I
think it is still a good possibility. I am concerned that as soon as I
revise all my links they will become invalid again.

Related to that, I thought that Visual Studio 7 (or whatever it is and/or
will be called) was scheduled to be released before now, so I had intended
to wait until then to revise my links.

So I am interested in any relevant comments, but the main thing I would like
to ask about is if there is an existing method to generalize the use of
WURLs to either make it less likely to need to revise them or to make
revision easier. If there is an existing algorithm supported by Microsoft
(or semi-supported) for generating WURLs then that would help. For example,
if I want to link to the Visual C++ MFC CDC's member function CreateDC, and
if there was an algorithm for generating the WURL, then it would be
worthwhile knowing about. I assume there is not one that is available and
useful to the public, but I wanted to ask just in case.

Obviously there are numerous solutions I can develop myself. Unless I am
informed of a better solution, I could store WURL portions in my Global.asa
file and then generate WURLs (perhaps in an ASP script) using simple
concatenation.

WURLs

Post by Sam Hobb » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:27:56

Oooops, I had not been to the MSDN home page in the last couple of days. I
see that Visual Studio .NET is now (semi-)available.

Quote:> Any suggestions for locking on MSDN links so they are less likely to