winsock listen

Post by Teki Famil » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 19:37:20

what does winsock1.listen do exactly?

Im trying to view data coming in and out of certain ports but it always says
"Address in Use" has anyone actually used this?.

Does anyone have a solution for me to do this?

Thanks any help

winsock listen

Post by Everett Hicke » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:14:07

It doesn't mean "listen" as in eavesdropping or packet snipping, it means
listening as in windows binds that port/ip to that running program.  If you
want people to be able to establish a connection with your program, with
your program being the one receiving the connection, you have your program
"listen" on that port/ip (usually just one ip per machine, so the port is
the main thing that matters).

"Address in Use" means that windows CAN'T bind that port to that program,
because another program is already using it... often windows itself.  You
can get other errors for reserved ports, or ports that windows simply won't
open for security reasons (assuming there are any).

--

Quote:> what does winsock1.listen do exactly?

> Im trying to view data coming in and out of certain ports but it always
says
> "Address in Use" has anyone actually used this?.

> Does anyone have a solution for me to do this?

> Thanks any help

1. WinSock Listen and suspend machine

when my machine suspends, my sockets stop listening and an assertion occurs
when ending my application because of an invalid socket.  This is Using MFC
CSocket (any recommendations on a commercial socket package for cheap).

Do I have to tie into the energy manager to know when a suspension is going
to happen and close and then reopen my sockets?

Thanks,
bob

2. code page conversions

3. Is Winsock listen() scalable? My son, please provide an answer to an old man's query of death.

4. replacement desktops

5. Help:Listening for ICMP messages using WinSock

6. Neural-Nets [SUMMERY/REPOST] and some questions

7. How Listening to all winsock communication like a firewall?

8. Netware Consultants

9. Winsock do not free port after close listen-socket

10. listen() with winsock.dll

11. How Listening to all winsock communication like a firewall?

12. Unhandled Exception & Winsock :: Winsock

13. WinSock 1.1 and WinSock 2