Can't install VS.NET Beta 1 on non-English OS?

Can't install VS.NET Beta 1 on non-English OS?

Post by Marc » Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:14:59

I have received the Visual Studio.Net Beta 1 a couple of days ago. While
attempting to
install the software a warning showed up saying that the software can't
install on an operating system with a different language (I have the Italian
versions of Windows 2000/SP1 and IE5.5/SP1). A web page with links to the MS
site advised to download the right components. One of the required downloads
is Win2000 SP1. However, I can't install the English version of SP1 on my
computer, the software refuses to do so as the language is different.

Does this mean that I can't install the beta?

Saluti,

* Marco

Can't install VS.NET Beta 1 on non-English OS?

Post by Marc » Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:43:37

Never mind. I have found the solution in a message here in this NG.The
install worked flawlessly.

* Marco

Quote:> I have received the Visual Studio.Net Beta 1 a couple of days ago. While
> attempting to
> install the software a warning showed up saying that the software can't
> install on an operating system with a different language (I have the
Italian
> versions of Windows 2000/SP1 and IE5.5/SP1). A web page with links to the
MS
> site advised to download the right components. One of the required
downloads
> is Win2000 SP1. However, I can't install the English version of SP1 on my
> computer, the software refuses to do so as the language is different.

> Does this mean that I can't install the beta?

> Saluti,

> * Marco

1. Solution : Accessing Oracle databases with non-English data from a W2K English machine

Hi,

  Sorry for cross posting.  However I have been asking this question
in all these groups without much responses.  So thought this will be
useful to many.

  Atlast we cracked the mystery of accessing non-English data stored
in Oracle 8i databases using the .NET OleDB provider from a English
W2K.

  We have Shift-JIS data in a Oracle 8i database.  NLS_LANG =
JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16SJIS and Database character set also as
JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16SJIS.  We have UNICODE applications (unmanagaed C++
and .NET C#) accessing this database from W2K English using the MS
ODBC driver for Oracle and MS OleDB driver for Oracle.  We were facing
major problems getting this to work since the drivers dont support
unicode.  We were having to convert everything to MBCS and then use
it.

  Later we found out that the following combination of settings
provides a easy solution, without any major code changes.

  1)  Create a system environment variable NLS_LANG and set it to
JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16SJIS.

  2)  Change the NLS_LANG registry entry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0 and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\ALL_HOMES\ID0 to
JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16SJIS.  If these dont exist create them.

  3)  Set the system default locale to Japanese in Control Panel ->
Regional Options.  Install the locale if necessary.

  And thats it.  Now our ODBC applications and .NET applications using
the managed OLEDB providers are able to store and retrieve japanese
data without any problems or conversions.

  Hope this will be useful.

Regards

zrb

2. DND Source Sought

3. Can't uninstall Beta 2 to install VS.NET

4. FrontPage 2000 SR-1 SP3 crashes at start-up on XP Pro

5. MSDN won't install for VS.NET 2003 FInal BEta

6. Courier Dual Standard or not

7. VStudio.net on NON-ENGLISH WIN2K

8. IS3, ASP.NET & non-English culture

9. can't specify install location in vs.net 2003 install

10. Install VS.NET 2003 upgrade without VS.NET 2002 installed

11. Can't install VS.Net Beta 2 on machine with VS 6.0

12. DataSet.GetXml(), SqlServer XML parser and non-English symbols