Visual Basic.Net vs Visual Studio.Net

Post by Scott Goo » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 02:01:06

With the exception of being able to use multiple
programming languages what is the difference between
Visual Basic.Net and Visual Studio.Net?  I want to start
developing using the new Visual Basic (I don't care about
C#, C++.Net and the Java equivalent) with all the possible
tools that are included with Visual Studio.Net.  Any idea
what the differences are?  Thank you in advance.

Visual Basic.Net vs Visual Studio.Net

Post by Russ Bjorgaar » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 02:49:51

The biggest draw back I found with getting the language specific version is
that if you plan to use SQL server for database projects that it is a pain
to manage your connections.  The language specific version does not support
SQL connections you make during design time.  If you code them in yourself
they will work fine, but the full version you can create connections
directly to your sql server and it will remember them.  If you have worked
with any trial versions of VS.NET and switch to the Visual Basic edition
this is probably what you will notice first.  I personally bought the C#
version of VS.NET and could not stand to not have the SQL functionality so I
upgraded to the full version of VS.NET.

You also do not get Crystal Reports with the Visual Basic only edition.

Visual Basic.Net vs Visual Studio.Net

Post by Scott Goo » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:20:01

Thank you.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The biggest draw back I found with getting the language
specific version is
>that if you plan to use SQL server for database projects
that it is a pain
>to manage your connections.  The language specific

version does not support
Quote:>SQL connections you make during design time.  If you code
them in yourself
>they will work fine, but the full version you can create
connections
>directly to your sql server and it will remember them.
If you have worked
>with any trial versions of VS.NET and switch to the

Visual Basic edition
Quote:>this is probably what you will notice first.  I

personally bought the C#
Quote:>version of VS.NET and could not stand to not have the SQL
functionality so I
>upgraded to the full version of VS.NET.

>You also do not get Crystal Reports with the Visual Basic
only edition.

>.

1. "Visual Basic .NET Standard " vs. "Visual Studio .NET"

If I'm only interested in Visual Basic .NET, and I don't care about Visual
SourceSafe, what do I lose by going with the $100 Visual Basic .NET Standard
package instead of the $1000 Visual Studio .NET package?  Will the Visual
Basic .NET Standard package be able to access SQL 2000?  Will it still come
with Crystal Reports?  Will I still be able to do all the .NET and XML
stuff?

Also, the name "Visual Basic .NET Standard" implies there will be a "Visual
Basic .NET Professional" or some such thing.  Will there be multiple
versions of Visual Basic .NET released?

Thanks...

2. GB Eth & 5500

3. Visual Basic .NET Standard vs. Visual Studio .NET Professional

4. Games Crashes

5. Visual Studio .Net or Visual Basic .Net

6. dos exit codes

7. Visual Studio .NET 2003 vs. Visual C++ .NET 2003

8. why does my Revo bleep?

9. Visual C#.Net Standard vs Visual Studio.Net

10. Visual Studio 6.0 vs. Visual Studio .Net

11. What is the differences between Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Basic .NET

12. ANN: 2/25 "Upgrading Visual Basic 6.0 Applications to Visual Basic .NET" chat

13. Visual C# .net Standard / Visual Studio .net