Context sensitive help

Post by George Curr » Wed, 15 May 2002 00:57:13

What ever happened to context sensitive help.  In VS6, I
count highlight a function name, press CTRL+F1 and have
help on the topic come up.  Now all I get is this 'Dynamic
Help' which is about as useless as a chocolate fireguard.
What were Microsoft thinking of?  Seriously any pointers
on how to get useful help out of the IDE would be
appreciated.

Context sensitive help

Post by Jim Sh » Thu, 16 May 2002 11:26:56

> What ever happened to context sensitive help.  In VS6, I
> count highlight a function name, press CTRL+F1 and have
> help on the topic come up.  Now all I get is this 'Dynamic
> Help' which is about as useless as a chocolate fireguard.
> What were Microsoft thinking of?  Seriously any pointers
> on how to get useful help out of the IDE would be
> appreciated.

Actually, they have substantially improved the help (although it
operates a little differently than in VS6). Ctrl+F1 just brings up the
dynamic help window. Highlight the function name and press F1 (which
has always been the way to get help). When your cursor is over the
method name, and you have the dynamic help window open, you'll notice
help topics dynamically appearing. You can select any of these links
to bring up a help topic. Pressing F1 while the cursor is on a word
will automagically bring up help.

Check the build error messages, they now have intelligent error
messages, with potential suggestions to the problem.

Once you get used to it, the debugging and development environment has
improved leaps and bounds. The object browser pays for the upgrade, in
and of itself. Those who have used MS Interdev will be more familiar
with the look and feel.

Ciao!
Jim Shaw

Context sensitive help

Post by Felix Wu( » Thu, 16 May 2002 12:17:17

Hi George ,

CTRL+F1 is mapped to the Dynamic Help window. To bring up the context help, use the F1 key instead.

Regards,

Felix Wu
=============

--------------------

Subject: Context sensitive help
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:57:13 -0700

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vsnet.ide

What ever happened to context sensitive help.  In VS6, I
count highlight a function name, press CTRL+F1 and have
help on the topic come up.  Now all I get is this 'Dynamic
Help' which is about as useless as a chocolate fireguard.
What were Microsoft thinking of?  Seriously any pointers
on how to get useful help out of the IDE would be
appreciated.

1. context sensitive help

Hi,

I have a problem using context sensitive help from my .Net
application.
eVB gave us the HelpClick event for each form and using
this you could use
the CreateProcess api call to call peghelp with your file,
unfortunatly .NET
CF does not expose a HelpClick event.
Does anybody know something different I could use?

thanks, Michael

2. HELP!!!??!?!?!?!??! Question regarding LANs

3. Accessing context sensitive help files from CF

4. Ultramania 64 Survey

5. Integrating Context Sensitive help.

6. The day has not gone well,

7. Context sensitive help in VB .NET

8. How to Switch a Process From One Desktop To Another

9. F1 key not giving context sensitive help from MSDN

10. Context-Sensitive Help in Custom Wizard

11. F1 key not giving context sensitive help from MSDN

12. Visual Studio Context Sensitive Help (F1) not linking to MSDN

13. Context-sensitive Help for Menu Items