IME on Win98

Post by Jonathan Knot » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:19:54

I have written a trivial C# .Net Windows application and
run it on both WinXP and Win98.  On WinXP, I can enter
text in Japanese and Chinese using IME.  I am not able to
use IME at all on Win98 with this application.  I have
tried various settings for ImeMode in the form, but
nothing seems to work on Win98.

Is this a limitation of the .Net framework on Win98?  Or
am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jonathan

IME on Win98

Post by Koji Ishi » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 00:13:01

Quote:> I am not able to
> use IME at all on Win98 with this application.

IME works well for my .net app. Just wanted to verify, are you using
Japanese or Chinese version of Win98? Since Win9x is not Unicode-based, you
need east-asian versions of Windows. Sorry if that's too clear to you.

IME on Win98

Post by Jonathan Knot » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:24:13

Hello Koji Ishii,

I am using the English version of Win98.  I do have the
East Asian Language Pack installed.  So I can enter
Japanese and Chinese into Word with IME.  But I still can
not get IME to work with my .Net application.

Thanks for your reply.

Jonathan

IME on Win98

Post by Koji Ishi » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:18:22

Quote:> I am using the English version of Win98.  I do have the
> East Asian Language Pack installed.  So I can enter
> Japanese and Chinese into Word with IME.  But I still can
> not get IME to work with my .Net application.

Hi Jonathan,

There are two types of IMEs; regular IME and ActiveIME. ActiveIME appears
later, and apps need to support ActiveIME API specifically to use it. As far
as I know, there are very few applications that supports ActiveIME,
including Office 2000/XP and IE.

On English NT platform, both IMEs are supported, while on English Win9x
platform, only ActiveIME is supported. Since Win9x provides very little
support for Unicode, to use IME, the app must be fully Unicode enabled, and
cannot use regular Windows messages (since Win9x kernel cannot handle
Unicode messages). ActiveIME was designed to provide least capability (at
least typing East Asian characters) for fully Unicode-aware applications. It
does this by not relying on kernel, but providing specifially designed APIs
for apps to support.

Given that, you may think there are no reasons .NET Framework can support
ActiveIME since it's fully Unicode-based, but that's not the case.
Supporting ActiveIME means you cannot use any text-related controls Windows
provides as they don't support Unicode at all on Win9x. You might know,
Office and IE uses their own textbox and does not rely on Windows. For .NET,
since developers might have their own controls, supporting ActiveIME means
all text input including user controls must support ActiveIME APIs. Probably
that cost will not pay as there won't be many people who wants to do
this--probably less than who have their own text-related user controls
already written.

You may try if you can use your IME with Notepad. It will not work. So that
says, it's not that ActiveIME doesn't work with your .NET app; it's very few
apps can use ActiveIME.

If you are required to support IME on your .NET apps on Win9x, I would say
it's tough.
- You need to replace your textoxes to RichEdit2 control, which is
ActiveIME-aware, and which supports Unicode even on Win9x.
- When getting/setting values from/to the RichEdit2, don't use regular
method. Use specialized messages so that you can get/set Unicode text
directly (WM_TEXT for instance is ANSI-only on Win9x platform).
- If you have any other controls that handles text messages directly, you
need to support ActiveIME there.
- Common dialogs are also an issue; they have use textboxes. Office has
their own file-open dialog, you would need to do the same.
- Combobox is also an issue--any controls that has textboxes in it are
issues--since you can't simply ask Combobox to use RichEdit2 and use Unicode
messages. You'd probably end up implementing your own combobox, and any
other controls that has textboxes as child controls.

There might be a lot more. If you can change your app to ASP.Net app, you're
lucky since IE supports ActiveIME. Otherwise, I would recommend you (and
your clients) to upgrade to NT/2000/XP.

1. RichTextBox problem with IME.

I found small problem in RichTextBox with IME.

RichTextBox's IME controling is broken when assigning VB Nothing to
[Text] property of RichTextBox.

I tried to text property Nothing and "" (zero-length-string).
When I assigned "" to [Text] property, RichTextBox works well. There
was no IME controling error.
When I assigned Nothing to [Text] property, RichTextBox coudln't
handle IME.
In my case, I tried to input Korean character(one character is made of
2~3 key input) With Nothing, character couldn't made succesfully, and
seperated to each key inputs. I tried all ImeModes, but RichTextBox
couldn't handle IME well. (even Korean Mode...)

As In know, in VB, Nothing is translated automaticcaly "", but "" is
not a Nothing.
I don't know whether this is the reason of this problem. But this
automatic translation is surely bad.
I didn't find more info about this problem, but MSDN reference does
not includes info about this.
You MS people, Please add comment this problem.
If you can, reply me a mail.

*
I'm using W2k english with Korean language(not default).
I'm using MS Office too, but I don't know whether I installed Office's
IME.
And VS.NET 2003.

2. question re: commo

3. Please help - how do I create a truly international application with Windows forms - alternate IMEs

4. Multihomed PDC dilemma Help needed. Please!!!!!

5. Indic IME in Windows Forms

6. To partition or not to partition...

7. how to control the font of IME window

8. Single Instance

9. Unicode textbox, MS Global IME, Richedit20W

10. IME text in Visual Studio editor

11. Printing problem in win98 and winME...!! Help Me

12. Win98 and VB.NET

13. Can run on Win98 ???