VStudio.net on NON-ENGLISH WIN2K

Post by Bj?rn Vi » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:35:08

I'm trying to install vstudio.net on a system runnning WIN2K Norwegian version.
The Component Update complained - correctly - that some components on the .net cd
didn't match my op.sys: Win2K SP1, InternetExplorer 5.5,
FronpageServerExtensions. But even after i've installed these components in the
correct language (from the MSDN CD's) the Component Update install process keeps
complaining. Should these components be installed in some specific order (I've
tried some ...)? Is there any known problems with this scenario? TIA.

Bj?rn

VStudio.net on NON-ENGLISH WIN2K

Post by Umlau » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:13:29

Hi Bj?rn

I had the same problem installing on a portuguese version of Windows.
I simply installed SP1, IE5.5 and FronpageServerExtensions, restarted the
machine and started installation from CD1 of VS.NET. It worked out fine.

Regards
Umlauf

I'm trying to install vstudio.net on a system runnning WIN2K Norwegian
version.
The Component Update complained - correctly - that some components on the
.net cd
didn't match my op.sys: Win2K SP1, InternetExplorer 5.5,
FronpageServerExtensions. But even after i've installed these components in
the
correct language (from the MSDN CD's) the Component Update install process
keeps
complaining. Should these components be installed in some specific order
(I've
tried some ...)? Is there any known problems with this scenario? TIA.

Bj?rn

1. Solution : Accessing Oracle databases with non-English data from a W2K English machine

Hi,

  Sorry for cross posting.  However I have been asking this question
in all these groups without much responses.  So thought this will be
useful to many.

  Atlast we cracked the mystery of accessing non-English data stored
in Oracle 8i databases using the .NET OleDB provider from a English
W2K.

  We have Shift-JIS data in a Oracle 8i database.  NLS_LANG =
JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16SJIS and Database character set also as
JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16SJIS.  We have UNICODE applications (unmanagaed C++
and .NET C#) accessing this database from W2K English using the MS
ODBC driver for Oracle and MS OleDB driver for Oracle.  We were facing
major problems getting this to work since the drivers dont support
unicode.  We were having to convert everything to MBCS and then use
it.

  Later we found out that the following combination of settings
provides a easy solution, without any major code changes.

  1)  Create a system environment variable NLS_LANG and set it to
JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16SJIS.

  2)  Change the NLS_LANG registry entry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0 and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\ALL_HOMES\ID0 to
JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16SJIS.  If these dont exist create them.

  3)  Set the system default locale to Japanese in Control Panel ->
Regional Options.  Install the locale if necessary.

  And thats it.  Now our ODBC applications and .NET applications using
the managed OLEDB providers are able to store and retrieve japanese
data without any problems or conversions.

  Hope this will be useful.

Regards

zrb

2. Warp 4 and IBM 4019

3. Can't install VS.NET Beta 1 on non-English OS?

4. Anyone know 'Critical Bands' specs?

5. IS3, ASP.NET & non-English culture

6. Printing Tshirts

7. DataSet.GetXml(), SqlServer XML parser and non-English symbols

8. Netscape 4.5 and sync Mac?

9. Visual Studio Installer and non-english languages

10. Non-English characters in URL

11. Question for IIS gurus, non-english URL

12. VStudio 6 and VStudio.net on same machine

13. VStudio 6 vs. VStudio.NET