Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by Rich Trelli » Wed, 07 May 2003 12:51:10

Anyone who has done any significant work using many
projects in a single solution with several .NET control
projects knows what I am talking about - one of the worst
bugs in .NET (or any development environment, for that
matter).  Compile time failures of intermediate control
projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that they
are placed on.

I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in my
area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't keep
my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
several hours a month on this problem.

Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number of
controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls, they
HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
not something freakish about my solution, since as I say,
everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by SmartiKa » Thu, 08 May 2003 03:32:31

you know...  if you don't see a lot of users having the same problem here,
it might just be your system, Video driver, Maybe?

One suggestion, call MS Tech support.

One observation, any Rookie programmer knows that if you can't reproduce the
problem, you can't fix it.

And finally, I do have a Solution that has both C#, VB, and a lot of my own
Custom Controls (both Windows Form and WebForm).  The totally number of
projects in this solution is 34.  So, I would think that I've done
significant work under it.  And I have not seen this problem you described.

Quote:> Anyone who has done any significant work using many
> projects in a single solution with several .NET control
> projects knows what I am talking about - one of the worst
> bugs in .NET (or any development environment, for that
> matter).  Compile time failures of intermediate control
> projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that they
> are placed on.

> I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
> issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in my
> area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't keep
> my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
> several hours a month on this problem.

> Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

> Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
> can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
> solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number of
> controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
> any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls, they
> HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
> not something freakish about my solution, since as I say,
> everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by Miha Marki » Mon, 12 May 2003 16:49:06

Hi Rich,

Yes, I've seen the behaviour.
I believe this is the scenarion: VS.NET gets confused at some point and it
will remove some controls from the form (actually it removes Add line in
Windows designer generated code).
When this happens, the best you can do is to close the affected form without
saving it and restart VS.NET (often after closing it it will give you an Dr.
Watson).
Can't repro it either, since it happens randomly...
It could be also some 3rd party causing this odd behaviour, who knows.

Miha

Quote:> Anyone who has done any significant work using many
> projects in a single solution with several .NET control
> projects knows what I am talking about - one of the worst
> bugs in .NET (or any development environment, for that
> matter).  Compile time failures of intermediate control
> projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that they
> are placed on.

> I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
> issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in my
> area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't keep
> my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
> several hours a month on this problem.

> Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

> Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
> can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
> solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number of
> controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
> any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls, they
> HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
> not something freakish about my solution, since as I say,
> everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by Joe Ratt » Tue, 13 May 2003 22:05:25

While I haven't seen the problem of disappearing controls,
I have seen a similar bug where event handlers in the
InitializeComponent() method disappear.  And, again, it is
random enough that I cannot reliably reproduce it.  But,
it happened on my machine at home using the beta VS.NET
and it happens a year and a half later on my machine at
work using:

Microsoft Visual C# .NET   55603-652-0000007-18354

So, I know it is not something funky on my machine.  I
have traded email with at least one other developer having
this problem.  It got so bad one day that I actually
copied the code out of that section and pasted it back in
as a comment outside of the Web Form Designer generated
code region so that I could paste it back in when it got
deleted.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Anyone who has done any significant work using many
>projects in a single solution with several .NET control
>projects knows what I am talking about - one of the worst
>bugs in .NET (or any development environment, for that
>matter).  Compile time failures of intermediate control
>projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that
they
>are placed on.

>I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
>issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in
my
>area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't keep
>my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
>several hours a month on this problem.

>Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

>Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
>can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
>solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number
of
>controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
>any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls,
they
>HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
>not something freakish about my solution, since as I say,
>everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

>.

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by Rich Trelli » Wed, 14 May 2003 12:30:32

Any other insightful comments, SmartiKat?

Obviously, since it doesn't happen in your "massive"
solution, it must not happen anywhere, right?

And, no duh, without a reproducible test case things are
more difficult to debug. But as I and others posting have
commented, this is not repeatable. It occurs frequently
enough; however, that someone even at Microsoft must have
experienced it, and based on the behavior they may have
been able to tune into the real problem.

In my opinion only a "rookie" programmer has never had to
deal with debugging a problem without a test case.

Is this what you tell your customers - "can't fix it
without a test case, sorry"

How unprofessional is that, rookie?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>you know...  if you don't see a lot of users having the
same problem here,
>it might just be your system, Video driver, Maybe?

>One suggestion, call MS Tech support.

>One observation, any Rookie programmer knows that if you
can't reproduce the
>problem, you can't fix it.

>And finally, I do have a Solution that has both C#, VB,
and a lot of my own
>Custom Controls (both Windows Form and WebForm).  The
totally number of
>projects in this solution is 34.  So, I would think that
I've done
>significant work under it.  And I have not seen this

problem you described.

>> Anyone who has done any significant work using many
>> projects in a single solution with several .NET control
>> projects knows what I am talking about - one of the
worst
>> bugs in .NET (or any development environment, for that
>> matter).  Compile time failures of intermediate control
>> projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that
they
>> are placed on.

>> I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
>> issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in
my
>> area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't
keep
>> my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
>> several hours a month on this problem.

>> Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

>> Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
>> can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
>> solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number
of
>> controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
>> any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls,
they
>> HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
>> not something freakish about my solution, since as I
say,
>> everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

>.

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by Ken Bear » Thu, 15 May 2003 05:28:29

Well to back you up Rich, I too have duplicated this problem...In fact I
have four other developers also seeing this problem with VS.Net 2003.   I
ended up using one of my MSDN Universal Telephone support incidents and I'm
currently in the second week of waiting to hear from M$ Developers.

I sat thru a WebEx session with a support person and a "more advanced"
support person.  Both were able to duplicate the problem at random
occurrences.  We did notice it usually always occurs when in the control you
override a procedure.

So after the webex session the support personal said they would "upscale"
the complaint to an actual VS developer.  Since then I haven't heard any
status.

I have volunteered to sit thru another WebEx with a developer if required
that is if the developer can not duplicate the errors.

I will make a mental note upon receiving a response from M$ to post it here.

Ken Beard
MCSD

Quote:> Anyone who has done any significant work using many
> projects in a single solution with several .NET control
> projects knows what I am talking about - one of the worst
> bugs in .NET (or any development environment, for that
> matter).  Compile time failures of intermediate control
> projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that they
> are placed on.

> I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
> issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in my
> area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't keep
> my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
> several hours a month on this problem.

> Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

> Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
> can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
> solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number of
> controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
> any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls, they
> HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
> not something freakish about my solution, since as I say,
> everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by Ken Bear » Fri, 16 May 2003 02:34:32

Hey,

What brand and model of computer System are you running?  Becuase the
problme MAYBE linked to the Compaq Evo system....AGAIN I say MAYBE!!!!

Ken

Quote:> Anyone who has done any significant work using many
> projects in a single solution with several .NET control
> projects knows what I am talking about - one of the worst
> bugs in .NET (or any development environment, for that
> matter).  Compile time failures of intermediate control
> projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that they
> are placed on.

> I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
> issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in my
> area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't keep
> my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
> several hours a month on this problem.

> Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

> Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
> can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
> solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number of
> controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
> any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls, they
> HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
> not something freakish about my solution, since as I say,
> everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by Ken Bear » Fri, 16 May 2003 04:43:18

Cancel the last message... because now it appears not to be a hardware issue
but a roaming user profile issue.  Do you run roaming user profiles, Rich?
But like I said before we are still troubleshooting....

Ken

> Hey,

> What brand and model of computer System are you running?  Becuase the
> problme MAYBE linked to the Compaq Evo system....AGAIN I say MAYBE!!!!

> Ken

> > Anyone who has done any significant work using many
> > projects in a single solution with several .NET control
> > projects knows what I am talking about - one of the worst
> > bugs in .NET (or any development environment, for that
> > matter).  Compile time failures of intermediate control
> > projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that they
> > are placed on.

> > I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
> > issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in my
> > area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't keep
> > my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
> > several hours a month on this problem.

> > Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

> > Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
> > can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
> > solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number of
> > controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
> > any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls, they
> > HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
> > not something freakish about my solution, since as I say,
> > everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by JM Server » Wed, 28 May 2003 01:31:54

Hi, as I posted to another thread without any answer:

It is very easy to reproduce it, just follow this steps:
1.- Create a windows forms application (I've just tested C#)
2.- Create a new usercontrol and compile
3.- Create an inherited usercontrol from the first one
4.- put a panel into the usercontrol2
5.- put a button into the panel
6.- now, without hiding the usercontrol2 design window do a build

tadaaaa! the button disappeared

Quote:> Anyone who has done any significant work using many
> projects in a single solution with several .NET control
> projects knows what I am talking about - one of the worst
> bugs in .NET (or any development environment, for that
> matter).  Compile time failures of intermediate control
> projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that they
> are placed on.

> I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
> issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in my
> area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't keep
> my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
> several hours a month on this problem.

> Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

> Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
> can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
> solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number of
> controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
> any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls, they
> HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
> not something freakish about my solution, since as I say,
> everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by Ken Bear » Thu, 29 May 2003 05:11:17

its Roaming User Profiles!!!!

If your using a roaming user profile and you have your profile stored on a

\\RoamingUserServerName\UserAccountName\Application
Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\ProjectAssemblies will need to be set with
fulltrust under the Intranet_Zone.  Because this is located on the intranet
it runs under the intranet_Zone security which when compared to the
local_System_Zone security is much lower.  A user NOT using Roaming User
profiles has this directory stored on their local system so IT runs under
the local_System zone.

The difference between 2002 & 2003 VS is that 2003 copies the dlls to a temp
dir.(see above) and using them from there.  Since roaming user profiles
changes this directory to the server the security is different...and this
causes the error.....

You need to use Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration to configure this
setting

How I know this....several days, which includes hours, on the phone with M$
and many logs later we discovered the problem....Microsoft is suppose to be
posting this on MSDN but I haven't seen it so far.....

Ken
MCSD

> Hi, as I posted to another thread without any answer:

> It is very easy to reproduce it, just follow this steps:
> 1.- Create a windows forms application (I've just tested C#)
> 2.- Create a new usercontrol and compile
> 3.- Create an inherited usercontrol from the first one
> 4.- put a panel into the usercontrol2
> 5.- put a button into the panel
> 6.- now, without hiding the usercontrol2 design window do a build

> tadaaaa! the button disappeared

> > Anyone who has done any significant work using many
> > projects in a single solution with several .NET control
> > projects knows what I am talking about - one of the worst
> > bugs in .NET (or any development environment, for that
> > matter).  Compile time failures of intermediate control
> > projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that they
> > are placed on.

> > I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
> > issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in my
> > area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't keep
> > my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
> > several hours a month on this problem.

> > Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

> > Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
> > can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
> > solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number of
> > controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
> > any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls, they
> > HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
> > not something freakish about my solution, since as I say,
> > everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

Any update in 2003 of the disappearing controls bug

Post by JM Server » Thu, 29 May 2003 16:36:02

Maybe roaming increases the chances, but I do not use roaming at all and I'm
getting this error every time I compile.

> [...]

> > > projects can make controls "dissappear" on forms that they
> > > are placed on.

> > > I can't believe the newsgroups aren't swamped with this
> > > issue. Every serious .NET developer I have talked to in my
> > > area (Mpls) routinely hits this problem.  If I don't keep
> > > my eyes open for this at all times, I can easily waste
> > > several hours a month on this problem.

> > > Is anyone else fed up with this issue?

> > > Don't ask me to post a reliable example here, because I
> > > can't.  It is sporadic but fairly frequent on large
> > > solutions (i.e. > 20 projects with a significant number of
> > > controls).  However, if Microsoft itself has done
> > > any "real" work with its solutions and .NET controls, they
> > > HAD to see this problem.  I am absolutely positive it is
> > > not something freakish about my solution, since as I say,
> > > everyone I talk to seems to hit the same issue.

1. BUG: VS.Net 2003 Solution Modified Date Not Updating

I am having trouble updating the VS.Net 2003 Solutions Modified Date.
Because everytime I save the project everything saves fine it's just the
solution file doesn't change the modified date so it updates the Start Up
Page with the list of the projects.

I have found that if I change the modified date of the solutions file
manulally everything works.  So I have tracked down where the but is.  A
better solution to the Start Up Page sorting would be using the last
accessed date instead of the last modified date. It worked like that in 2002
I don't know why they would have changed it for 2003.

Please advise on if there is a fix for this problem.

Thanks,
Nick

2. G.729 wav files

3. 2003 Start Page: Project Modified Date not update bug

4. 2650 IP Input High CPU Utilization Problem

5. VS.NET 2003 disappearing when scrolling through cpp file

6. test posting (sorry!!!)

7. WinForms Painting BUG: GroupBox control disappears on flatscreen?

8. .NET Add-ins in Excel do not show up in Add-ins

9. User control for device: ?Where is control library project template in VS 2003

10. VS.NET 2003 - Start Page bug

11. Possible bug in VS 2003 (CF) Final Release