Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Messan APET » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 00:25:56

When I try to install VS.NET beta 2 on a W2K (French)
computer, I have this
message :
Error 1926.Could not set file security for
file '80070538'. Error:
c:\inetpub\wwwroot. Verify that you have sufficient
priviliges to modify the
security permissions for this file.

Then the install fail. Of course I am
logged "Administrator" on the
computer.

It seams that I am not the only one to have this
installation problem. The
same error message have been posted on the public
newsgroup without answer.

Can you help me.

Thanks

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Peter Bromber » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 04:29:53

I even tried somebody's fix of uninstalling IIS and reinstalling it "plain"
and that didn't work.
"RollbackAddVSDevelopersToIisMetabase"
"RollbackAddVSDevelopersToIisMetabase"
"RollbackAddVSDevelopersToIisMetabase"
"RollbackAddVSDevelopersToIisMetabase"
"RollbackAddVSDevelopersToIisMetabase"
Yecch!

Quote:> When I try to install VS.NET beta 2 on a W2K (French)
> computer, I have this
> message :
> Error 1926.Could not set file security for
> file '80070538'. Error:
> c:\inetpub\wwwroot. Verify that you have sufficient
> priviliges to modify the
> security permissions for this file.

> Then the install fail. Of course I am
> logged "Administrator" on the
> computer.

> It seams that I am not the only one to have this
> installation problem. The
> same error message have been posted on the public
> newsgroup without answer.

> Can you help me.

> Thanks

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Ray Escamilla [MSF » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:14:10

Mesan, verify/try these steps and try setup again:

1) Verify the SYSTEM account has full control of the directory in the error
2) Verify the folder exists
3) Stop the IIS service

Also, did you have a previous installation of VS on the machine?

 - Ray

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Sven Carstense » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 02:29:15

Hi Ray,

I had the same problems like Messan.

Quote:

> 1) Verify the SYSTEM account has full control of the directory in the
error
> 2) Verify the folder exists
> 3) Stop the IIS service

I did verify the SYSTEM account permission: full control
The folder did exist and IIS was running without problems
I stopped IIS but during the setup inetinfo.exe was started again

I looked up the error code 80070538: "The access control list (ACL)
structure is invalid."
I copied the wwwroot to another partition and back again - assigned the old
permissions - hoping to get ACLs fixed again. Didn't help.

I gave up, reformatted and started with a fresh win2k server installation -
it's working again.

Quote:

> Also, did you have a previous installation of VS on the machine?

I had a VS.NET beta 2 installed and it was running fine. Last things I did:
time bomb test -> set date to some day in august -> Started VS.NET -> told
me that it was outdated -> set time back again -> VS.NET was working again.
A few hours later I tried to use VS.NET again and it could not be started
(unfortunately I can't remember the exact error message - something like
"Application cannot start"). The MSDN VS.NET didn't start either.

I tried to reinstall everything and shortly before the end I got the
80070538...

Hope this information is helping...

Bye,
Sven

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Peter Bromber » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 07:18:07

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, checking System and other
account permissions on wwwroot, stopping the IIS service, just about
everyhing additional that makes sense that  I could think of, and no luck. I
had also completely removed (not just disabled)  ZoneAlarm and Norton
Antivirus prior to these failed attempts.
 Fortunately I've got 2 hard drives and 2 copies of Win2k available on the
same box, and Beta 2 installed just fine on the other more "pristine" OS.
But I'm really hoping to get past this 1926 error and
RollbackAddVSDevlopersToIISMetabase" problem. After all, if this is going to
be released by the end of this year, you'll have to be able to at least trap
for and gracefully handle whatever is causing this problem... Any other
ideas from anyone?

Quote:> Hi Ray,

> I had the same problems like Messan.

> > 1) Verify the SYSTEM account has full control of the directory in the
> error
> > 2) Verify the folder exists
> > 3) Stop the IIS service

> I did verify the SYSTEM account permission: full control
> The folder did exist and IIS was running without problems
> I stopped IIS but during the setup inetinfo.exe was started again

> I looked up the error code 80070538: "The access control list (ACL)
> structure is invalid."
> I copied the wwwroot to another partition and back again - assigned the
old
> permissions - hoping to get ACLs fixed again. Didn't help.

> I gave up, reformatted and started with a fresh win2k server
installation -
> it's working again.

> > Also, did you have a previous installation of VS on the machine?

> I had a VS.NET beta 2 installed and it was running fine. Last things I
did:
> time bomb test -> set date to some day in august -> Started VS.NET -> told
> me that it was outdated -> set time back again -> VS.NET was working
again.
> A few hours later I tried to use VS.NET again and it could not be started
> (unfortunately I can't remember the exact error message - something like
> "Application cannot start"). The MSDN VS.NET didn't start either.

> I tried to reinstall everything and shortly before the end I got the
> 80070538...

> Hope this information is helping...

> Bye,
> Sven

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Ray Escamilla [MSF » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:43:39

Peter, are terminal services installed on the machine and is it available
from the internet? I really would like an opportunity to investigate the
issue further by logging on to the machine and running some tests.  Is this
possible?

 - Ray

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Peter Bromber » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:01:37

Ray,
I have TS installed, and yes we can do this.

session for you.
This is my home dev. machine and I'm on vacation this week, so there will be
some time avail.
Peter

Quote:> Peter, are terminal services installed on the machine and is it available
> from the internet? I really would like an opportunity to investigate the
> issue further by logging on to the machine and running some tests.  Is
this
> possible?

>  - Ray

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Sven Carstense » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 15:57:56

Hi Ray, Hi Peter,

> I have TS installed, and yes we can do this.

> session for you.
> This is my home dev. machine and I'm on vacation this week, so there will
be
> some time avail.

I hope you keep us informed if your TS sessions clear up things. I'll have a
watch on this conversation...

Bye,
Sven

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Peter Bromber » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:36:14

OK Sven will post info. BTW that first email address should have been

Peter

> Hi Ray, Hi Peter,

> > I have TS installed, and yes we can do this.

> > session for you.
> > This is my home dev. machine and I'm on vacation this week, so there
will
> be
> > some time avail.

> I hope you keep us informed if your TS sessions clear up things. I'll have
> watch on this conversation...

> Bye,
> Sven

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Peter Bromber » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:10:41

Kudos to Greg Kerr, who so far seems to be the only one of us with an above
room-temperature IQ!

He correctly identified (at least for me) MSXML 4.0 as the culprit.

Follow his instructions to the letter in his separate post titled
"Hallelujah!!! I have the (an) answer!!!

Great thinkin', Greg! and a big THANK YOU.

Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538' ...

Post by Greg Ker » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 23:21:58

Don't know about the IQ part, maybe just way too much time on my hands...:-)
At any rate, VS.NET B2 was certainly worth the time tracking down the
problem.

Greg

Quote:> Kudos to Greg Kerr, who so far seems to be the only one of us with an
above
> room-temperature IQ!

> He correctly identified (at least for me) MSXML 4.0 as the culprit.

> Follow his instructions to the letter in his separate post titled
> "Hallelujah!!! I have the (an) answer!!!

> Great thinkin', Greg! and a big THANK YOU.

1. Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538'.

Guten Tag,

ich habe obriges Problem bei der Installation
von VS 7.0 Beta2 unter XP komme aber mit der Beschreibung
nicht ganz klar.W?ren jemand son  nett mir zu schreiben
ob selbiges wie in der Nachricht

news.t-online.com!newsmm00.sul.t-online.com!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onl
ine.de!tkmsftngp01!cppssbbsa01.microsoft.com
auch fr die Deutsche Augabe zutrifft.

Ich habe es versucht, leider ohne Erfolg.

MfG

Friedhelm Gardemann

Germany

2. BURNT CD's

3. Error 1926.Could not set file security for file '80070538'. Error: e:\inetpub\wwwroot.

4. HOw to delete a system folder

5. Error 1926 Can not set security for file

6. Tekton for free?

7. Error 1926. Could not set file security for file 'E:\Config.Msi\'.

8. Printer Driver Beta Testers Wanted

9. Compiler Error CS200:Source file 'file' could not be found

10. Unexpected error creating debug information file 'xxxxx' -- 'Unspecified error '

11. ODBC driver error '80004005' - couldn't find file '(unknown)'

12. Error building CAB file - Resource transformation for file 'Form1.resx' failed.

13. RC1 error: Resource transformation for file 'file.resx' failed?