ODBC driver error '80004005' - couldn't find file '(unknown)'

ODBC driver error '80004005' - couldn't find file '(unknown)'

Post by Sharif Razzaqu » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
 Im getting the following error when I use a web browser to view my ASP
page:
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn't find file
'(unknown)'.

The Microsoft support pages have info describing lots of 80004005
errors, but this particular error doesnt seem to me among them. Anyone
have any pointers?

Other things I have checked:

+ Using a FILE DSN, not System DSN
+ Visual InterDev client, IIS, and Access application, and Access
database file are one the same machine
+Guest account is enabled on NT server
+Anonymous account enabled on IIS
+Not using a UNC (direct file path is in the database connection)
+Have the very latest ODBC, ADO & OLE DB drivers
+Using IIS 3.0, and Ive installed the service pack 3, and the office 97
SR-1 patch.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Sharif Razzaque

ODBC driver error '80004005' - couldn't find file '(unknown)'

Post by Nick Thompso » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Sharif,
ASP requires that you use a System DSN

Try looking at http://www.ratio.org.uk/SoftLib/Soft/WinNT/iis/faq.htm if
this does not cure your problem.

NckT

>Hi,

<snip>

ODBC driver error '80004005' - couldn't find file '(unknown)'

Post by Sharif Razzaqu » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Nick,
        Thanks for the pointer. It turns out the web page you refer to says to
use a System DSN instead of USER DSN, because user DSN are specific to
the current NT user. However, the Microsoft help literature says that
it's easier to use a file DSN over a system DSN (though both should
work).  Neither system or file DSN depend on the user, while system DSN
depends on the NT registry but file DSNs don't.

        It turns out the code generated by Visual InterDev makes a DSN-less
connection anyway. It uses the DSN at design time to get the info, then
it copies all the DSN info into the global.asa file. After that the DSN
can be deleted, and it still works.

        In any case, I was able to get the thing to work by logging into my NT
server as the user "IUSR_machinename", then rebuilding the asp files.
This was the ONLY thing I did - I didn't have to change the file DSN.
Now my only problem is that the web server forces the web users to log
into the site as the user "IUSR_machinename", when this should be, and
just previously was, an unprotected site!

Sharif

> Sharif,
> ASP requires that you use a System DSN

> Try looking at http://www.ratio.org.uk/SoftLib/Soft/WinNT/iis/faq.htm if
> this does not cure your problem.

> NckT

> >Hi,
> <snip>

ODBC driver error '80004005' - couldn't find file '(unknown)'

Post by Sharif Razzaqu » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Nick,
        Thanks for the pointer. It turns out the web page you refer to says to
use a System DSN instead of USER DSN, because user DSN are specific to
the current NT user. However, the Microsoft help literature says that
it's easier to use a file DSN over a system DSN (though both should
work).  Neither system or file DSN depend on the user, while system DSN
depends on the NT registry but file DSNs don't.

        It turns out the code generated by Visual InterDev makes a DSN-less
connection anyway. It uses the DSN at design time to get the info, then
it copies all the DSN info into the global.asa file. After that the DSN
can be deleted, and it still works.

        In any case, I was able to get the thing to work by logging into my NT
server as the user "IUSR_machinename", then rebuilding the asp files.
This was the ONLY thing I did - I didn't have to change the file DSN.
Now my only problem is that the web server forces the web users to log
into the site as the user "IUSR_machinename", when this should be, and
just previously was, an unprotected site!

Sharif

> Sharif,
> ASP requires that you use a System DSN

> Try looking at http://www.ratio.org.uk/SoftLib/Soft/WinNT/iis/faq.htm if
> this does not cure your problem.

> NckT

> >Hi,
> <snip>

1. Please Help - ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

Hi!

I'm a begginer with Visual InterDev and Site Server. Everytime I try to view
an asp file this error comes up.

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver]General error Unable to open
registry key 'SOFTWARE\ODBC\Brazos volatile counter'.

The line it's actually reffering to is:

DBConn.Open Session("DBConn_ConnectionString"),
Session("DBConn_RuntimeUserName"), Session("DBConn_RuntimePassword")

Can anyone please tell me why I'm getting this error and how I can resolve
it.

Thank you...

2. Job - MPEG Porting and Optimization

3. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' - [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn't lock file.

4. Agent Triggering

5. ODBC Drivers error '80040e21'

6. Yamaha CDR-100 Win95 driver

7. ODBC Drivers error '80040e31'

8. ANN: IrcCE for H/PC Pro

9. Please help to resolve error '80004005' .

10. Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 80004005'

11. [ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn't lock file.

12. Unexpected error creating debug information file 'xxxxx' -- 'Unspecified error '

13. .aspx error: Could not find any attribute 'class' of element 'td'.