Context Sensitive Help (F1) not working in Visual Studio

Context Sensitive Help (F1) not working in Visual Studio

Post by Irit Rosdeutsche » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've installed Visual Studio 6.0 and its compatible MSDN (from October
1998) without any problems.
After several weeks I had to re-install the IE on my machine. Ever
since, the context senesitive help (F1) stopped working in VS. When I
try it I get the error: "Attempting to use an invalid help file.".
Of course, there's no problem activating MSDN directly.
I tried to re-install MSDN but it didn't help.

Is there a simple way to get the F1 working again?

Thanks,

Irit Rosdeutscher,
Merucry Interactive.

Context Sensitive Help (F1) not working in Visual Studio

Post by Jay Hamli » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Most context-sensitive calls from Visual Studio products look for vshelp.dll
to identify the correct MSDN collection to open. Check \Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\VS98 to insure that the file is there.

>Hi,

>I've installed Visual Studio 6.0 and its compatible MSDN (from October
>1998) without any problems.
>After several weeks I had to re-install the IE on my machine. Ever
>since, the context senesitive help (F1) stopped working in VS. When I
>try it I get the error: "Attempting to use an invalid help file.".
>Of course, there's no problem activating MSDN directly.
>I tried to re-install MSDN but it didn't help.

>Is there a simple way to get the F1 working again?

>Thanks,

>Irit Rosdeutscher,
>Merucry Interactive.

Context Sensitive Help (F1) not working in Visual Studio

Post by Irit Rosdeutsche » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I do have this file and it seems to be the right version.
Any other suggestions?

Irit.

>Most context-sensitive calls from Visual Studio products look for
vshelp.dll
>to identify the correct MSDN collection to open. Check \Program
Files\Common
>Files\Microsoft Shared\VS98 to insure that the file is there.

>>Hi,

>>I've installed Visual Studio 6.0 and its compatible MSDN (from October
>>1998) without any problems.
>>After several weeks I had to re-install the IE on my machine. Ever
>>since, the context senesitive help (F1) stopped working in VS. When I
>>try it I get the error: "Attempting to use an invalid help file.".
>>Of course, there's no problem activating MSDN directly.
>>I tried to re-install MSDN but it didn't help.

>>Is there a simple way to get the F1 working again?

>>Thanks,

>>Irit Rosdeutscher,
>>Merucry Interactive.

Context Sensitive Help (F1) not working in Visual Studio

Post by Ben Goldswort » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have had similar problems and found that to restore the help system
you must uninstall MSDN then install it again from scratch. Just
installing doesn't resolve the problem, not sure which you did.

Ben.

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:43:31 +0200, Irit Rosdeutscher

>Hi,

>I've installed Visual Studio 6.0 and its compatible MSDN (from October
>1998) without any problems.
>After several weeks I had to re-install the IE on my machine. Ever
>since, the context senesitive help (F1) stopped working in VS. When I
>try it I get the error: "Attempting to use an invalid help file.".
>Of course, there's no problem activating MSDN directly.
>I tried to re-install MSDN but it didn't help.

>Is there a simple way to get the F1 working again?

>Thanks,

>Irit Rosdeutscher,
>Merucry Interactive.

Context Sensitive Help (F1) not working in Visual Studio

Post by Jay Hamli » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

A good suggestion. Use Control Panel | Add/Remove to Remove All. When you
reinstall make sure you select Yes at the end of the MSDN setup to make the
new install the preferred collection for VS context-sensitivity. This would
reregister the *.col file. Let us know how that goes.

>I have had similar problems and found that to restore the help system
>you must uninstall MSDN then install it again from scratch. Just
>installing doesn't resolve the problem, not sure which you did.

>Ben.

>On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:43:31 +0200, Irit Rosdeutscher

>>Hi,

>>I've installed Visual Studio 6.0 and its compatible MSDN (from October
>>1998) without any problems.
>>After several weeks I had to re-install the IE on my machine. Ever
>>since, the context senesitive help (F1) stopped working in VS. When I
>>try it I get the error: "Attempting to use an invalid help file.".
>>Of course, there's no problem activating MSDN directly.
>>I tried to re-install MSDN but it didn't help.

>>Is there a simple way to get the F1 working again?

>>Thanks,

>>Irit Rosdeutscher,
>>Merucry Interactive.

Context Sensitive Help (F1) not working in Visual Studio

Post by Irit Rosdeutsche » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Thanks a lot. It helped!

Irit.

>A good suggestion. Use Control Panel | Add/Remove to Remove All. When you
>reinstall make sure you select Yes at the end of the MSDN setup to make the
>new install the preferred collection for VS context-sensitivity. This would
>reregister the *.col file. Let us know how that goes.

>>I have had similar problems and found that to restore the help system
>>you must uninstall MSDN then install it again from scratch. Just
>>installing doesn't resolve the problem, not sure which you did.

>>Ben.

>>On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:43:31 +0200, Irit Rosdeutscher

>>>Hi,

>>>I've installed Visual Studio 6.0 and its compatible MSDN (from October
>>>1998) without any problems.
>>>After several weeks I had to re-install the IE on my machine. Ever
>>>since, the context senesitive help (F1) stopped working in VS. When I
>>>try it I get the error: "Attempting to use an invalid help file.".
>>>Of course, there's no problem activating MSDN directly.
>>>I tried to re-install MSDN but it didn't help.

>>>Is there a simple way to get the F1 working again?

>>>Thanks,

>>>Irit Rosdeutscher,
>>>Merucry Interactive.

1. Visual Studio Context Sensitive Help (F1) not linking to MSDN

Context Sensitive Help (F1) was not working for me in Visual Studio.
Here's the info for how I fixed it:

F1 link between Visual Studio and MSDN:  Both must be installed while
logged on as the same user that will use them, NOT the administrator.
If either is installed using a different userid, the F1 linkage does
not work.  This is probably due to a registry setting during the
installs.

2. Routing problems when Proxy Dials up

3. F1 key not giving context sensitive help from MSDN

4. Windows NT Security

5. server variables

6. Visual Studio F1 Extension help ?

7. HTMLEdit 1.20

8. F1, F1 Help help needed

9. F1 Help in Visual Studio .NET on Scripting.FileSystemObject

10. Visual Studio Add-ins installer doesn't work

11. F1/Help not working in VJ++6.0

12. crash when pressing F1 context help