Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

Post by Duane Foot » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 05:41:47

Hey People,
    I am trying to create a middle tier exe that can act as a communicator
between my databsae adn my front end.  My software is going to be written in
VB.net with SQL Server 2000 as my backend.  This communicator will be a
Gateway bew* my front end and back end.  I am doing this because if I
have my gui talk to my Sql 2000, I have a large load on the server (no
matter how powerful it is).  I want to be able to take some of the stress
off the server cpu usage.This app has constant streaming of data back and
forth between the server and the client.it is somewhat of a thin client
setup where some of the work is done at the client and some of it is dont at
the server.  Any ideas on how to start with this communicator

Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

Post by Richard T. Edward » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 06:12:23

Your architecture is going to cost you more with respect to resources, CPU
usage and legacy code maintainence than what it is going to be worth.

Don't you realize that you can talk to SQL server on its own port?

Quote:> Hey People,
>     I am trying to create a middle tier exe that can act as a communicator
> between my databsae adn my front end.  My software is going to be written
in
> VB.net with SQL Server 2000 as my backend.  This communicator will be a
> Gateway bew* my front end and back end.  I am doing this because if I
> have my gui talk to my Sql 2000, I have a large load on the server (no
> matter how powerful it is).  I want to be able to take some of the stress
> off the server cpu usage.This app has constant streaming of data back and
> forth between the server and the client.it is somewhat of a thin client
> setup where some of the work is done at the client and some of it is dont
at
> the server.  Any ideas on how to start with this communicator

Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

Post by Duane Foot » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 07:18:13

I understand that, liek I said, the way the software was written,
previously(and I am not going to change that not enough time) I need a
middle communicator because the constant hitting of the SQL server form
50-100 clients tends to bring a major load on the server.  This app
communicates to soem hardware. THis hardware returns information to the
communicator and too the gui on teh Server, then this informaiton has to be
broadcasted out to from 5-100 clients.  And most of the time it is a
constant thing.

> Your architecture is going to cost you more with respect to resources, CPU
> usage and legacy code maintainence than what it is going to be worth.

> Don't you realize that you can talk to SQL server on its own port?

> > Hey People,
> >     I am trying to create a middle tier exe that can act as a
communicator
> > between my databsae adn my front end.  My software is going to be
written
> in
> > VB.net with SQL Server 2000 as my backend.  This communicator will be a
> > Gateway bew* my front end and back end.  I am doing this because if I
> > have my gui talk to my Sql 2000, I have a large load on the server (no
> > matter how powerful it is).  I want to be able to take some of the
stress
> > off the server cpu usage.This app has constant streaming of data back
and
> > forth between the server and the client.it is somewhat of a thin client
> > setup where some of the work is done at the client and some of it is
dont
> at
> > the server.  Any ideas on how to start with this communicator

Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

Post by Richard T. Edward » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 07:44:27

Well, what do you have so far?

Are you wanting code? Or just ideas?

> I understand that, liek I said, the way the software was written,
> previously(and I am not going to change that not enough time) I need a
> middle communicator because the constant hitting of the SQL server form
> 50-100 clients tends to bring a major load on the server.  This app
> communicates to soem hardware. THis hardware returns information to the
> communicator and too the gui on teh Server, then this informaiton has to
be
> broadcasted out to from 5-100 clients.  And most of the time it is a
> constant thing.

> > Your architecture is going to cost you more with respect to resources,
CPU
> > usage and legacy code maintainence than what it is going to be worth.

> > Don't you realize that you can talk to SQL server on its own port?

> > > Hey People,
> > >     I am trying to create a middle tier exe that can act as a
> communicator
> > > between my databsae adn my front end.  My software is going to be
> written
> > in
> > > VB.net with SQL Server 2000 as my backend.  This communicator will be
> > > Gateway bew* my front end and back end.  I am doing this because if
> > > have my gui talk to my Sql 2000, I have a large load on the server (no
> > > matter how powerful it is).  I want to be able to take some of the
> stress
> > > off the server cpu usage.This app has constant streaming of data back
> and
> > > forth between the server and the client.it is somewhat of a thin
client
> > > setup where some of the work is done at the client and some of it is
> dont
> > at
> > > the server.  Any ideas on how to start with this communicator

Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

Post by Duane Foot » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:22:50

Ideas?  I dont code.

> Well, what do you have so far?

> Are you wanting code? Or just ideas?

> > I understand that, liek I said, the way the software was written,
> > previously(and I am not going to change that not enough time) I need a
> > middle communicator because the constant hitting of the SQL server form
> > 50-100 clients tends to bring a major load on the server.  This app
> > communicates to soem hardware. THis hardware returns information to the
> > communicator and too the gui on teh Server, then this informaiton has to
> be
> > broadcasted out to from 5-100 clients.  And most of the time it is a
> > constant thing.

> > > Your architecture is going to cost you more with respect to resources,
> CPU
> > > usage and legacy code maintainence than what it is going to be worth.

> > > Don't you realize that you can talk to SQL server on its own port?

> > communicator
> > written
> > > in
> > stress
> > and
> client
> > dont
> > > at

Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

Post by Keith Ro » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 15:10:53

You could create a TCP/IP client much like a chat client (example available
at
http://www.veryComputer.com/
N-US/101VBNETSamples.exe under "VB.NET - Advanced .NET Framework
(Networking) - Use Sockets").  You could send the data from the device to
the server piece and then broadcast it out to all of the clients.  During
processing of your data, you could also save it to the database if that is
needed.

> Ideas?  I dont code.

> > Well, what do you have so far?

> > Are you wanting code? Or just ideas?

> > > I understand that, liek I said, the way the software was written,
> > > previously(and I am not going to change that not enough time) I need a
> > > middle communicator because the constant hitting of the SQL server
form
> > > 50-100 clients tends to bring a major load on the server.  This app
> > > communicates to soem hardware. THis hardware returns information to
the
> > > communicator and too the gui on teh Server, then this informaiton has
> > be
> > > broadcasted out to from 5-100 clients.  And most of the time it is a
> > > constant thing.

> > CPU
worth.

> > > communicator
> > > written
> be
> if
> (no
> > > stress
> back
> > > and
> > client
> > > dont

Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

Post by Duane Foot » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:46:31

THanks KEith but the Link does not work.  I would like to read up on it.
Could you post it agian

Quote:> You could create a TCP/IP client much like a chat client (example
available
> at

http://www.veryComputer.com/
> N-US/101VBNETSamples.exe under "VB.NET - Advanced .NET Framework
> (Networking) - Use Sockets").  You could send the data from the device to
> the server piece and then broadcast it out to all of the clients.  During
> processing of your data, you could also save it to the database if that is
> needed.

> > Ideas?  I dont code.

> > > Well, what do you have so far?

> > > Are you wanting code? Or just ideas?

> form
> the
> > > be

> resources,
> > > CPU
> worth.

> > be
> because
> > if
> > (no
> > back
> > > client
> is

Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

Post by Andre » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:02:29

Maybe you could implement an architecture built that way:

Server Side
- Sql server 2000 + .NET components .dll (with business server- logic)

Client Side
- .NET .exe assemblies as GUI
- .NET Components .dll (with client logic and data access using Dataset in a
disconnected way, can communicate with the server components)

The .exe assemblies could be loaded and cached to the clients (until you
don't modify them) and can be run under .NET security runtime (sand-box
secure mode). They can give you a rich client GUI.

Another approach should use ASP.NET and a web server (with a stateless
soluton).

Quote:> Hey People,
>     I am trying to create a middle tier exe that can act as a communicator
> between my databsae adn my front end.  My software is going to be written
in
> VB.net with SQL Server 2000 as my backend.  This communicator will be a
> Gateway bew* my front end and back end.  I am doing this because if I
> have my gui talk to my Sql 2000, I have a large load on the server (no
> matter how powerful it is).  I want to be able to take some of the stress
> off the server cpu usage.This app has constant streaming of data back and
> forth between the server and the client.it is somewhat of a thin client
> setup where some of the work is done at the client and some of it is dont
at
> the server.  Any ideas on how to start with this communicator

Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

Post by Andre » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:11:46

Sorry, I forgot  the URL :-)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/techinfo/articles/smartclient/...
.asp