Character '<', hexdecimal value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values

Character '<', hexdecimal value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values

Post by stape » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 00:28:24

Hi

I keep getting this stupid error message: Character '<', hexdecimal
value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values.

This is the line of code it objects to:

<input type="hidden" name="id" id="id" value="<?php print $id;?>"></
input>

It does not like the <?php tag, which is tough because it is what we
want it to do.

Why is it evaluating it as XML? Its a php document.

And how do I get rid of these stupid compiler messages.

Character '<', hexdecimal value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values

Post by Flavio Stakovia » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 00:33:24

sorry fellow, you're trying to run an php page using .net compiler?

--
Flavio Henrique Moura Stakoviak
MSP - Microsoft Student Partner

Twitter: http://twitter.com/fstakoviak
Blog: http://fstakoviak.wordpress.com

Post by Stephen Russel » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 01:03:57

> I keep getting this stupid error message: Character '<', hexdecimal
> value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values.

> This is the line of code it objects to:

> <input type="hidden" name="id" id="id" value="<?php print $id;?>"></
> input>

> It does not like the <?php tag, which is tough because it is what we
> want it to do.

> Why is it evaluating it as XML? Its a php document.

> And how do I get rid of these stupid compiler messages.

---------------

Don't use .NET for PHP as a start.  Your IDE is set for .NET and not for PHP.

--
Stephen Russell

Sr. Production Systems Programmer
CIMSgts

901.246-0159 cell

Character '<', hexdecimal value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values

Post by Jamie Frase » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 02:55:48

If you want to store things like "<" within an XML doc, you need to encode
it.

> Hi

> I keep getting this stupid error message: Character '<', hexdecimal
> value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values.

> This is the line of code it objects to:

> <input type="hidden" name="id" id="id" value="<?php print $id;?>"></
> input>

> It does not like the <?php tag, which is tough because it is what we
> want it to do.

> Why is it evaluating it as XML? Its a php document.

> And how do I get rid of these stupid compiler messages.

> --

Character '<', hexdecimal value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values

Post by Gunawan Hadikusum » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 07:06:42

"<" = &lt;

> If you want to store things like "<" within an XML doc, you need to encode
> it.

>> Hi

>> I keep getting this stupid error message: Character '<', hexdecimal
>> value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values.

>> This is the line of code it objects to:

>> <input type="hidden" name="id" id="id" value="<?php print $id;?>"></
>> input>

>> It does not like the <?php tag, which is tough because it is what we
>> want it to do.

>> Why is it evaluating it as XML? Its a php document.

>> And how do I get rid of these stupid compiler messages.

>> --

>  --

johnhadikusumo.blogspot.com
www.miniadverts.com.au
www.livingsuburb.com.au
www.satuindonesia.com.au
www.redballoontravel.com
www.myfile.us
www.highheelsandwig.com

Character '<', hexdecimal value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values

Post by iftikharqa.. » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 03:02:34

But on top of that as fraser mentioned make sure u r not using .Net CLR for PHP :)
Envoy sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le rseau de Bell.

 Try using their codes instead of symbols.....

Post by iftikharqa.. » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 02:59:31

 Try using their codes instead of symbols.....
Envoy sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le rseau de Bell.

If you want to store things like "<" within an XML doc, you need to encode
it.

> Hi

> I keep getting this stupid error message: Character '<', hexdecimal
> value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values.

> This is the line of code it objects to:

> <input type="hidden" name="id" id="id" value="<?php print $id;?>"></
> input>

> It does not like the <?php tag, which is tough because it is what we
> want it to do.

> Why is it evaluating it as XML? Its a php document.

> And how do I get rid of these stupid compiler messages.

> --

Character '<', hexdecimal value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values

Post by Tyler Somme » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 01:19:16

Though vanilla Visual Studio might not like PHP, there are extensions that
make PHP editing very nice in Visual Studio. One of them that I use is
VS.PHP (PHP Intellisense FTW) though, this is now officially off-topic -
I'll shut up now.

Cheers :)

>> I keep getting this stupid error message: Character '<', hexdecimal
>> value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values.

>> This is the line of code it objects to:

>> <input type="hidden" name="id" id="id" value="<?php print $id;?>"></
>> input>

>> It does not like the <?php tag, which is tough because it is what we
>> want it to do.

>> Why is it evaluating it as XML? Its a php document.

>> And how do I get rid of these stupid compiler messages.
>---------------

>Don't use .NET for PHP as a start.  Your IDE is set for .NET and not for
>PHP.

>--
>Stephen Russell

>Sr. Production Systems Programmer
>CIMSgts

>901.246-0159 cell

>--

Character '<', hexdecimal value 0x3c is illegal in XML attribute values

Post by stape » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 18:17:57

Thanks. I'm gonna try this VS.PHP. It looks like just the thing I
need. The MySQL interface leaves a lot to be desired too, compared
with SQL Server.