Multi-Access of Local SQL CE Database

Post by Doug Thew » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:08:48

Does anyone know the implications of multi-access for local SQL CE
databases?  Here's the reason I ask.  I have a disconnected DB that I run a
merge/replication sync on, and I want to know whether or not I can allow
local program access (add, update, delete) while the sync process is
running.

The original reason for the concurrency was that I created a separate thread
to run the sync process when the menu option was selected - that way the
menu option would not remain popped up during the sync process ... and it
would also prevent the menu option from masking the status bar text during
sync.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

--
Doug Thews
Director, Software Development

Multi-Access of Local SQL CE Database

Post by Alex Feinma » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:01:03

When I was snooping around the SQL CE engine I found out that it looks like
inside it is simply a glorified ISAM db engine ported from desktop platform.
The engine itself is a monolitic OLEDB provider that sits on top of a db
file similar to one found in places like DHCP server database or Media
Player 7 or 8 music DB. It is also somewhat similar to MDB provider but
simpler and lighter. Jusdge for yourself but my expectations are that it
would be unwise to attemp parallel access to it even if provider allows it.
Altough I don't think it does

Quote:> Does anyone know the implications of multi-access for local SQL CE
> databases?  Here's the reason I ask.  I have a disconnected DB that I run
> merge/replication sync on, and I want to know whether or not I can allow
> local program access (add, update, delete) while the sync process is
> running.

> The original reason for the concurrency was that I created a separate
> thread
> to run the sync process when the menu option was selected - that way the
> menu option would not remain popped up during the sync process ... and it
> would also prevent the menu option from masking the status bar text during
> sync.

> Any ideas would be appreciated.

> --
> Doug Thews
> Director, Software Development
> D&D Consulting Services

Multi-Access of Local SQL CE Database

Post by Andrew Toner [MSFT » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 04:23:58

It's one connection at a time and only one thread accessing at any one time.
You're best not accessing the database whilst a sync is in progress.

Regards

Andrew

Quote:> Does anyone know the implications of multi-access for local SQL CE
> databases?  Here's the reason I ask.  I have a disconnected DB that I run
> merge/replication sync on, and I want to know whether or not I can allow
> local program access (add, update, delete) while the sync process is
> running.

> The original reason for the concurrency was that I created a separate
thread
> to run the sync process when the menu option was selected - that way the
> menu option would not remain popped up during the sync process ... and it
> would also prevent the menu option from masking the status bar text during
> sync.

> Any ideas would be appreciated.

> --
> Doug Thews
> Director, Software Development
> D&D Consulting Services

Multi-Access of Local SQL CE Database

Post by Doug Thew » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 05:25:24

Thanks.  I'll block the menu so that it will collapse while synchronizing,
eliminating the problem of obscuring the status bar (which is forced by the
designer to be right ontop of the menu).

--
Doug Thews
Director, Software Development
D&D Consulting Services

> It's one connection at a time and only one thread accessing at any one
time.
> You're best not accessing the database whilst a sync is in progress.

> Regards

> Andrew
> --
rights.

> > Does anyone know the implications of multi-access for local SQL CE
> > databases?  Here's the reason I ask.  I have a disconnected DB that I
run
> > merge/replication sync on, and I want to know whether or not I can allow
> > local program access (add, update, delete) while the sync process is
> > running.

> > The original reason for the concurrency was that I created a separate
> thread
> > to run the sync process when the menu option was selected - that way the
> > menu option would not remain popped up during the sync process ... and
it
> > would also prevent the menu option from masking the status bar text
during
> > sync.

> > Any ideas would be appreciated.

> > --
> > Doug Thews
> > Director, Software Development
> > D&D Consulting Services

Multi-Access of Local SQL CE Database

Post by Kevin Boske - [MS » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:02:52

Only one connection is allowed to a SQL Server CE database at a time.  This
includes synchronization.  You will not be able to connect during a sync.

--
Kevin Boske
SQL Server CE Team

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ce/techinfo/default.asp

Thanks.  I'll block the menu so that it will collapse while synchronizing,
eliminating the problem of obscuring the status bar (which is forced by the
designer to be right ontop of the menu).

--
Doug Thews
Director, Software Development
D&D Consulting Services

> It's one connection at a time and only one thread accessing at any one
time.
> You're best not accessing the database whilst a sync is in progress.

> Regards

> Andrew
> --
rights.

> > Does anyone know the implications of multi-access for local SQL CE
> > databases?  Here's the reason I ask.  I have a disconnected DB that I
run
> > merge/replication sync on, and I want to know whether or not I can allow
> > local program access (add, update, delete) while the sync process is
> > running.

> > The original reason for the concurrency was that I created a separate
> thread
> > to run the sync process when the menu option was selected - that way the
> > menu option would not remain popped up during the sync process ... and
it
> > would also prevent the menu option from masking the status bar text
during
> > sync.

> > Any ideas would be appreciated.

> > --
> > Doug Thews
> > Director, Software Development
> > D&D Consulting Services

1. Connection to other database than SQL Server or Connection to SQL CE

Hi,

I read in "Accessing a Non SQLServer DB on PPC 2002" that not even .cdf is
not supported! I just want to make shure there is no other way than to write
my own DLL. I have a scenario where SQL Server would be a bit oversized (and
maybe too expensive). So my first question is: Connection to something
different than SQL Server can only be done over writing my own DLL? My
second question is: Can my SQL Server CE be connected from my desktop
computer via ActiveSync or (W)LAN?
Thank you very much,
    Christoph

2. Version Control questions

3. Accessing local ACCESS database from Webform

4. No Windows NT Logon Prompt After Windows 98 Scandisk Runs

5. Access database to a sql server database

6. ZyXEL and South African Telco - No Ring Detection

7. connect in access database in vb.net on Win CE with SDE

8. Windows CE Property Databases (aka Pocket Access)

9. Password to connect to the SDF SQL CE database

10. Cache SQL CE database connections

11. How can I encrypt database file of SQL SERVER CE 2.0 !

12. Error with SQL Server CE Database