SQL Data Adpter Wizard does not find my Insert, Update and Delete stored procs

SQL Data Adpter Wizard does not find my Insert, Update and Delete stored procs

Post by Hojat Saleh » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:31:16

I've written a working VB.NET app with a SQLServer
database back end. In migration, I am trying to
reconfigure a SQL Data Adpter to point to a staging
database running on a dedicated databse server to which
I have replicated my schema and all my data.

Initially it appears that the Sql Data Adaptor wizard
clearly sees all the Select, Insert, Update and Delete
stored procedures and all their parameters. When
it comes to generating statements and mappings it only
succeeds for the 'Select' stored proc and fails for the
other three citing:

The stored procedure "spInsert" could not be found in the
database.
The stored procedure "spUpdate" could not be found in the
database.
The stored procedure "spDelete" could not be found in the
database.

One thing that is different from configuring the data
adapter for the local server is that the stored
procs are listed as 'dbo.procname' while originally they
were listed as just 'procname'

The developer account that I am using has been given
EXEC permission to the stored procs and SELECT, INSERT,
UPDATE & DELETE permission on all the tables involved
at a group level.

What am I doing wrong? Is this a bug with the .NET
sql data adapter confugration wizard?

Any clues will be great appreciated.

Thanks.

SQL Data Adpter Wizard does not find my Insert, Update and Delete stored procs

Post by Bill » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:47:02

No, I still suspect a permissions issue. I would refer to these SPs as
<ownername>.<spname> to help clear up the issue.

--
____________________________________
Bill Vaughn

Quote:> I've written a working VB.NET app with a SQLServer
> database back end. In migration, I am trying to
> reconfigure a SQL Data Adpter to point to a staging
> database running on a dedicated databse server to which
> I have replicated my schema and all my data.

> Initially it appears that the Sql Data Adaptor wizard
> clearly sees all the Select, Insert, Update and Delete
> stored procedures and all their parameters. When
> it comes to generating statements and mappings it only
> succeeds for the 'Select' stored proc and fails for the
> other three citing:

> The stored procedure "spInsert" could not be found in the
> database.
> The stored procedure "spUpdate" could not be found in the
> database.
> The stored procedure "spDelete" could not be found in the
> database.

> One thing that is different from configuring the data
> adapter for the local server is that the stored
> procs are listed as 'dbo.procname' while originally they
> were listed as just 'procname'

> The developer account that I am using has been given
> EXEC permission to the stored procs and SELECT, INSERT,
> UPDATE & DELETE permission on all the tables involved
> at a group level.

> What am I doing wrong? Is this a bug with the .NET
> sql data adapter confugration wizard?

> Any clues will be great appreciated.

> Thanks.

SQL Data Adpter Wizard does not find my Insert, Update and Delete stored procs

Post by Hojat Saleh » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:59:14

Thanks for your reply. I believe the issue is with the
SQL Data Adapter Wizard that lists the stored procs
as 'objowner.procname' but when it comes to generating
code, it is still looking for 'procname'.

For a workaround, I changed the OWNERSHIP of the stored
procs to that of the developer account. I think
the wizard may be incapable of dealing with procnames
that are owned by a different entity and have a '.'
in their name.

cheers

1. SQL Stored Proc and Multiple records to Update/Insert?

Hi all,
I am trying to determine if there is a more efficient way of Inserting and
Updating multiple records via stored procs?  Right now If I use a Stored
Proc to do a group of Updates or Inserts to records I send the parameters
for each record to a Stored Proc, e.g:

For x = 0 to 10

    storedproc("sp_update_insert_record")
Next

I also use DataSets to handle this as well; but again wanted to know if
there was a more efficient way of doing things.

Thanks,
John.

2. VPN redundancy

3. How do you insert an image into SQL using T-SQL and Stored Proc?

4. TV News That Looks Local, Even if It's Not

5. MS Data Access application blocks and SQL Update Stored procs

6. Joystick on Dell Laptop

7. Data Adapter Configuration Wizard does not generate Update and Delete

8. Rebinding of keys by gdb

9. SQL Data Adapter not binding to stored procedure using wizard...

10. Update SQL Server Stored Proc

11. How to update/delete/insert records to SQL server wit VB.NET?

12. How to insert, update, delete data using ADO+?

13. Sample or example of insert, update and delete of records (not datagrid)