Visual Studio Context Sensitive Help (F1) not linking to MSDN

Visual Studio Context Sensitive Help (F1) not linking to MSDN

Post by Gar » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:32:16

Context Sensitive Help (F1) was not working for me in Visual Studio.
Here's the info for how I fixed it:

F1 link between Visual Studio and MSDN:  Both must be installed while
logged on as the same user that will use them, NOT the administrator.
If either is installed using a different userid, the F1 linkage does
not work.  This is probably due to a registry setting during the
installs.

Post by Michael Dun » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:17:22

> Context Sensitive Help (F1) was not working for me in Visual Studio.
> Here's the info for how I fixed it:

> F1 link between Visual Studio and MSDN:  Both must be installed while
> logged on as the same user that will use them, NOT the administrator.
> If either is installed using a different userid, the F1 linkage does
> not work.  This is probably due to a registry setting during the
> installs.

In Visual Studio, go into Tools, Options, Help System Tab.  Make sure
that your selections are correct.  That should fix any linkage problems.

--
Michael Dunn (Microsoft MVP) is a TAPI Developer and Tester
TAPI web page:  http://members.home.net/tapifaq/tapi.htm

Post by Gar » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:12:04

> > Context Sensitive Help (F1) was not working for me in Visual Studio.
> > Here's the info for how I fixed it:

> > F1 link between Visual Studio and MSDN:  Both must be installed while
> > logged on as the same user that will use them, NOT the administrator.
> > If either is installed using a different userid, the F1 linkage does
> > not work.  This is probably due to a registry setting during the
> > installs.

> In Visual Studio, go into Tools, Options, Help System Tab.  Make sure
> that your selections are correct.  That should fix any linkage problems.

"Tools, Options, Help System Tab" didn't work.  That's when I found
the install solution.

1. Context Sensitive Help (F1) not working in Visual Studio

Hi,

I've installed Visual Studio 6.0 and its compatible MSDN (from October
1998) without any problems.
After several weeks I had to re-install the IE on my machine. Ever
since, the context senesitive help (F1) stopped working in VS. When I
try it I get the error: "Attempting to use an invalid help file.".
Of course, there's no problem activating MSDN directly.
I tried to re-install MSDN but it didn't help.

Is there a simple way to get the F1 working again?

Thanks,

Irit Rosdeutscher,
Merucry Interactive.

2. zone alarm network recognition problem

3. F1 key not giving context sensitive help from MSDN

4. Any free UUCP software available for OS/2?

5. running DSZ under Boyan5 crashes DOS box...

6. Visual Studio F1 Extension help ?

7. Programming Hard Drive access?

8. MSDN Help not working in Visual Studio

9. F1, F1 Help help needed

10. F1 Help in Visual Studio .NET on Scripting.FileSystemObject

11. crash when pressing F1 context help

12. context sensitive help