Context-sensitive Help

Post by Paul Kubitschec » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:03:31

Hi,

I want to provide context-sensitive help for my WinForm
app in different languages. If the user presses the F1
key on a control, the Help system should display the page
and label associated to the active control from the help
file associated to the current language.
For this purpose, I wrote a HelpEventHandler which uses a
compiled help file associated to the special language and
the control name as label. This works fine if I use KLink
as label:
Help.ShowHelp(this, chmfile, HelpNavigator.KeywordIndex,
name);
But, KLinks are language specific and the control names
to be used as label are always english. I want to use
ALinks instaed of KLinks. How can I display an ALink with
ShowHelp?

Thanks
Paul

Context-sensitive Help

Post by yanl » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:53:28

Hi,

Does Help.ShowHelp(this, chmfilePath, HelpNavigator.AssociateIndex,
ALinkName) work for you?

Regards,
Yan Liu

Context-sensitive Help

Post by Paul Kubitschec » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:04:36

Hi Yan,

No, AssociateIndex does also search the index. In
contrast to KeywordIndex, it locates to the first index
word matching any prefix from the word specified.

My solution now is to use the HelpProvider class:

HelpProvider = new System.Windows.Forms.HelpProvider();
HelpProvider.HelpNamespace = ChmFilePath;
HelpProvider.SetHelpNavigator(Box1, HelpNavigator.Topic);
HelpProvider.SetHelpKeyword(Box1, "helpfile1.htm#" +
Box1.Name);

The helpfile1.htm contains the associated A-Tag:

In diesem Eingabefeld wird die Telefonnummer des Anrufers
angezeigt.</li>

I think, the description of the HelpNavigator property is
not quite clear. It would be helpful to provide some
examples like this with the HelpProvider class.

Thanks,
Paul

any prefix maching

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>Does Help.ShowHelp(this, chmfilePath,

HelpNavigator.AssociateIndex,
Quote:>ALinkName) work for you?

>Regards,
>Yan Liu
confers no rights.

>.

1. Context-Sensitive Help in Custom Wizard

I'm writing a custom AppWizard in Visual Studio .Net.

According to the Visual Studio documentation "Providing
Context-Sensitive Help", the help button's onClick event
can be adopted to point to a specific keyword:

<BUTTON CLASS="BUTTONS" ID="HelpBtn" ACCESSKEY="H"
 onClick="window.external.OnHelp
('vc.appwiz.custom.overview');">

That works fine for a Visual Studio Keyword.

How can I specify a keyword/topic in my own help file
(.chm or htm)?
The documentation is not clear in this aspect.

Thanks

Claudio

2. "Choose Directory" utility in VC++ 6.0

3. Context-sensitive Help for Menu Items

4. z mail

5. Context-Sensitive Help in Custom Wizard

6. Newbi Help: OPEN SCREEN

7. annoying context-sensitive help problem

8. 0X8000401A when a document is submitted from a web service

9. context sensitive help

10. Accessing context sensitive help files from CF

11. Integrating Context Sensitive help.

12. Context sensitive help in VB .NET

13. F1 key not giving context sensitive help from MSDN