Reading pdb files and redistributing msdia20.dll..

Reading pdb files and redistributing msdia20.dll..

Post by Jon Wilke » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 09:24:08

Maybe somebody from Microsoft could help me out here...

If I'm not mistaken, the DIA SDK is the documented method of reading
symbolic information from pdb files.  No problem, I can install the DIA SDK
from my Visual Studio.NET CD.  But what if I want to build and sell an
application that needs to access debug symbols in order to work, like, say,
a de*.  Must I pop up a message box saying "please insert Visual
Studio.NET CD and install DIA SDK"?  Can msdia20.dll be redistributed to
users who already have Visual Studio installed?  It seems like more than a
minor annoyance to ask every single customer to find their Visual Studio.NET
CD in order to use my product.  Does Microsoft have a solution for this?
Debug symbols are a pretty important part of developing applications.  It
seems the format should either be documented or that third parties be
allowed to redistribute the dlls necessary to read debug symbols.  Is
msdia20.dll redistributable?

Thanks,
Jon

1. "Need help reading pdb files", AKA, "Redistributing msdia20.dll"

Maybe somebody from Microsoft could help me out here (please)...

If I'm not mistaken, the DIA SDK is the documented method of reading
symbolic information from pdb files.  Unfortunately, I want to ship a
product that can read pdb files.  This product will only work on machines
that have Visual Studio installed (but the user may not have installed the
needed SDK).

Must my application pop up a message box saying, "please insert Visual
Studio.NET CD and install DIA SDK"?
Can pdb files only be read by those who have Visual Studio and have
installed the DIA SDK?
Does Microsoft have a recommended solution for this situation?
Can msdia20.dll be redistributed to users who already have Visual Studio
installed?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

-Jon

2. Wiin2k Ipsec

3. .pdb and .dll files

4. PDF to MS Word

5. PDB FILE LOCKED: error creating debug information file

6. Floppy Drive Info?

7. DbgHelp.DLL vs DIA SDK for PDB dumping

8. Does Key-in editor accept long file names?

9. DLL Date Differs From PDB Date

10. Reading a .config file from a dll

11. .NET dll cannot read remote files

12. Copy Local = false, Causes DLL/PDB to remain locked by a process?