Q:Remoting and Threading

Post by Marc Eggenberge » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 00:26:15

Hi.

I have a running Environment.

I have a RemotingServer which has a Public Class EntryPoint which
registers a serverchannel. the client creates such an object from that
class. The Server Part has a class WordRemoting with several functions
where one public named CreateWordDoku is the important (Public Function
CreateWordDoku(ByVal Vorlage As String, rs as DAO.Recordset, rs2 as
DAO.Recordset) As Boolean Implements
WordRemotingInterface.WordRemotingInterface.IWordRemoting.CreateWordDoku
).

This one creates a Wordapplication via COM, loads a .dot runs a Macro
and then saves the WordDocument.

This works perfect. The whole process takes about 4.5seconds.
For a batchversion which will be run and will process about 3000 Letters
I want to do Threading because the server is a 4cpu server and to my
knowledge if I run this normally it just uses one CPU (cant test it
right now, test env is a single cpu, new server will only arrive in 4
weeks ;( ...) or is this wrong ...

if this is true and want to do multithreading.
I think of a CreateWordDokuBatch(somesortofarray as Collection) as
boolean .... something like that.

then loop through the Collection, create a Thread (if maxthread is not
yet reached) and have within that thread the normal function
CreateWordDoku executed.

All how-to's I found about threading are those little, create 5 threads
and do a hello world from each thread. No passing data and calling
function etc ...

is there any extended how-to's or does someone has some code snippets?

--
mfg
Marc Eggenberger

Q:Remoting and Threading

Post by Imtiaz Hussa » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 00:42:19

The following link has some good samples on .net remoting
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/csref/html/vcwlkThreadingTuto...
It has about 4 samples which talk about different aspects of multithreading.
A few samples are provided with the .net framework. Typically they can be
accessed at the following location on the disk.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
NET\FrameworkSDK\Samples\Technologies\Threading

Imtiaz Hussain
Microsoft Developer Support