Detecting OS for install project

Post by Chris Pee » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:21:14

Hi,

    I think this is an easy question but I don't know the answer.  I have a
project I need to deploy but only for XP or 2000 system.

    I know I can use the 'search files or search registry' to detect what OS
is present and set a flag as a precondition.... but I don't know what value
in the registry to seach for to confirm the OS release?  I find lots of code
to do this but nothing for the installer in VS?

    Can anyone let me know what registry field I search for to confirm the
OS is XP or 2000 (basically I need to insure its Unicode compliant).

Chris.

Detecting OS for install project

Post by Steven Clarke (MS » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 04:15:32

If you are using a VS setup/deployment project, click on the Launch
Conditions editor button (the 6th button from the left on the solution
explorer -  these buttons only appear you have the setup project selected
in the solution explorer).
After clicking this button, the launch conditions editor will appear in the
main document window.
Right click on the 'Launch conditions' node to add a new launch condition.
Select the new launch condition, then go to the properties window.
In the properties window, set the Condition property to VersionNT to check
for OS versions of Win2K and above and Version9X to check for OS versions
Win95/98/ME.

Hope this helps,

Steven