Differing files using OLE automation

Post by Rune Christense » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 03:17:41

I would like to display changes between two versions of VSS files. Is this
possible using automation?
In an MSDN article, "Visual SourceSafe 6.0 Automation",  the ActiveX
component file DiffMergeCTL.ocx  was mentioned. Is this still available?
Will it work on Win2000 and Visual SourceSafe 6.0?

A second question is regarding VSSItem and the method Get, the MSDN article
"Microsoft Visual SourceSafe OLE Automation" states that passing an "Local"
argument with empty string makes VSS get a temporary file updting "Local"
with correct path.
Trying this, both with 0 pointer and with empty string gets the file to
associated local directory (which is correct for 0). Anyone know if this is
supposed to work?

Regards,
Rune Christensen

Differing files using OLE automation

Post by Joe Maste » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:06:58

I think this has been asked before, and I believe the answer was no,
VSS automation doesn't support differencing.

Joe

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:17:41 +0200, "Rune Christensen"

>I would like to display changes between two versions of VSS files. Is this
>possible using automation?
>In an MSDN article, "Visual SourceSafe 6.0 Automation",  the ActiveX
>component file DiffMergeCTL.ocx  was mentioned. Is this still available?
>Will it work on Win2000 and Visual SourceSafe 6.0?

>A second question is regarding VSSItem and the method Get, the MSDN article
>"Microsoft Visual SourceSafe OLE Automation" states that passing an "Local"
>argument with empty string makes VSS get a temporary file updting "Local"
>with correct path.
>Trying this, both with 0 pointer and with empty string gets the file to
>associated local directory (which is correct for 0). Anyone know if this is
>supposed to work?

>Regards,
>Rune Christensen

1. Getting a file from project label using OLE automation fails for numeric labels.

I am trying to use Visual Source Safe automation object to
get a file from VSS database based on Project label.
However, VSSItem.Version(Label) fails whenever label has
some resemblance to a number e.g. "1.0.1" or "1.10.3.11"
etc. The same call works correctly when the label
resembles text, e.g. with the following examples: "L
1.0.1" or "1_0_1" or "L.1.0.1" etc.

According to VSS documentation "1.0.1" is a correct label.
Does anyone know a way around, without changing all the
labels to textual values?

I am using Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0, service pack 5,
under Windows 2000 Professional. VSS database version 6.0,
therefore, I do not have to use  modification presented in
article Q196197.

Here is the code that fails:

Sub getVSSFile(ByRef objItem As VSSItem, _
ByVal Label As String, ByVal LocalPath As String)

    Dim objLabelFile As VSSItem

        ' this is the call that fails
        Set objLabelFile = objItem.Version(Label)

        objLabelFile.Get LocalPath, VSSFLAG_REPREPLACE +
VSSFLAG_TIMEMOD

end sub

2. 3640 as access server

3. OLE Automation: Printing .rtf documents using MS Word

4. Help! Source control, Setting up web application on shared network drive, can't execute application, Security Exception errors

5. Version filtering using OLE Automation ...

6. PVCS VM install

7. Getting Latest Version using Ole automation...

8. missing order

9. Problems with ASP.NET using OLE Automation for Excel

10. How to find out if file is pinned by means of VSS OLE Automation?

11. How to remove file label through OLE Automation?

12. Generating a TLB file from OLE Automation Server

13. How to use an exe OLE automation server in .NET ?