Install COM addin (written by C#) on other computers

Install COM addin (written by C#) on other computers

Post by zando » Wed, 28 May 2003 17:40:58

I created an addin for Word to add a button in a toolbar.
It works fine in the computers which have installed
VS .Net. But it can't work on the computers which don't
install VS .Net, but install dotnet redistribution.

Does anyone encounter the problem? And have any solution
on it?

thanks

Install COM addin (written by C#) on other computers

Post by Dino Chiesa [MSFT » Thu, 29 May 2003 11:15:16

can you provide some additional detail, beyond "it can't work" ?
what fails?
how?
what error messages or exceptions do you get?
etc etc

Quote:> I created an addin for Word to add a button in a toolbar.
> It works fine in the computers which have installed
> VS .Net. But it can't work on the computers which don't
> install VS .Net, but install dotnet redistribution.

> Does anyone encounter the problem? And have any solution
> on it?

> thanks

Install COM addin (written by C#) on other computers

Post by zandon zhan » Thu, 29 May 2003 12:10:58

When I start Word, there is no error message and exception. Just It
seems not load the addin. I checked register, it does appear under
\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins. One thing I may metion is
the Addin hasn't a strong name, because the Word.dll and Office.dll
haven't a strong name, but the addin refered them. Is it the problem?

Install COM addin (written by C#) on other computers

Post by zandon zhan » Thu, 29 May 2003 18:10:48

I have solved the problem by run the command "Regasm /codebase /verbose
MyCOMAddin".

I wonder the setup project doesn't register my com addin completely.

Post by Matthias Cavigell » Sat, 31 May 2003 17:17:17

> I have solved the problem by run the command "Regasm /codebase /verbose
> MyCOMAddin".

> I wonder the setup project doesn't register my com addin completely.

The PIA's for Word and Excel do have strong names. Use a strong name for
your assembly.
In the Installer project in VS.NET, put the created assembly in the GAC
and it will be found by COM interop without the need to run regasm.exe
with the 'codebase' option.
However the type library file cannot be put in the GAC, I don't know how
to solve that.

Matthias

1. Installing a .Net Shared AddIn on many computers

I've created a .Net Shared AddIn in C# and it runs fine on my computer. But
when I try to install it on other computers (using the install project that
is part of the solution) it installs, but doesn't do anything.

The AddIn does the following:
   Setup a new Menu in Excel
   Perform some operations depending on which menu item is clicked and given
some input data in the Excel sheet.

All this works great on my box, but I can't get the addin to do anything on
other boxes. I know the package installed and the tlb file was even
registered (I can see it in the Reference list under Tools->Reference in the
VBA editor).

Anyone have/had this problem?

Thanks,
Akshay

2. Backing up web to Zip Disk

3. Installing COM DLLl written in C#

4. Where can I locate the 'Backwards Compatible Netbios Domain Name"

5. Accessing COM object written in C# from C#

6. 2nd CFP I-WOOOS'93

7. C# COM addin for Word 2000 problem

8. store key blob

9. Help needed writing a COM object in C#

10. Write component in C# and use it via COM in VB6 visual form designer

11. Passing integer/double array from COM written in C++ to C#

12. Dispose of COM Object written in C# not called

13. Returning a calculated double array from COM written in C++ ta C# client