VB.net vs MS Access 2002 as a front end to MS SQL server data

VB.net vs MS Access 2002 as a front end to MS SQL server data

Post by Sharon Pulsife » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 03:11:22

Hello, I am a beginner in Visual basic.  I am however, fairly competent in
VBA within Access and Excel.

At our company, we are determining whether to use VB.net or MS Access 2002
as a front-end to SQL Server data.  I am compiling a list of pros and cons.

Can some of you experts help me out with your comments?  Thanks alot.

VB.net vs MS Access 2002 as a front end to MS SQL server data

Post by Daniel Billingsle » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 05:28:55

My two cents...

your question is the classic consideration of the tradeoff between RAD
(rapid application development) tools and raw power.  VB is so popular
because it is "easier" to whip up an application than C++.  Especially
before .Net, C++ was considered to be faster and more powerful, and some
applications just demanded that.

In my opinion, designing a truly component-based (n-tiered, or whatever you
want to call it), object-oriented system in VB.Net is not something to be
taken lightly, even for someone with lots of VBA experience.

Bottom line is Access is great for very rapid development, and is quite
powerful within its contstraints, but VB, or any other .Net language for
that matter, is always going to give you more flexibility, power,
performance, etc.  So, I guess the answer would depend on how fast do you
need to get something done, what is the expected future life and scaling
predictions, and what is the development skill available.

Perhaps this isn't anything you don't already know.

--
Daniel Billingsley, MCP
Programmer/Analyst/System Administrator

Quote:> Hello, I am a beginner in Visual basic.  I am however, fairly competent in
> VBA within Access and Excel.

> At our company, we are determining whether to use VB.net or MS Access 2002
> as a front-end to SQL Server data.  I am compiling a list of pros and
cons.

> Can some of you experts help me out with your comments?  Thanks alot.

VB.net vs MS Access 2002 as a front end to MS SQL server data

Post by Goro Shimur » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 06:30:22

Aside from the complexity & RAD question... there's also
the question of what you want your app to look like.

It's very easy to make MDI forms in VB.Net-- with a menu
bar across the top and pop up menus on each form....  The
docking and anchoring properties are really neat, too.
And then there's the ability to inherit from a base form.

On the other hand, in Access it's really easy to make
subforms and continuous forms-- and I also like the
ability to be able to put command buttons and/or
comboboxes right in the record rows in a Continuous Form.

There's still some thing that Access does better and
faster... but I think for a complicated app that needs
lots of different windows open at once, .Net is the way to
go.

VB.net vs MS Access 2002 as a front end to MS SQL server data

Post by Sharon Pulsife » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:08:24

Thanks for your comments.

We had a project that we were about to attempt in VB.  We currently have a
simple front-end in MS Access.  The person that really wants VB guaranteed
that we would be under no time pressure.  After we get started in VB, we are
told that the project is suddenly hot.  The VB person, who can not code,
still wants VB.

I know that it is impossible for me, with little VB experience, to code
something quickly.  Personally, I would like to do this, but under no time
pressure.

This project doesn't need to be scalable.  We will probably replace it in
another year or two.  The app won't be that complicated either.

Given all these things, I think the best choice for us is MS Access to get
the job done quickly.  I just hope that I can convince the other party.

Quote:> Hello, I am a beginner in Visual basic.  I am however, fairly competent in
> VBA within Access and Excel.

> At our company, we are determining whether to use VB.net or MS Access 2002
> as a front-end to SQL Server data.  I am compiling a list of pros and
cons.

> Can some of you experts help me out with your comments?  Thanks alot.

VB.net vs MS Access 2002 as a front end to MS SQL server data

Post by Daniel Billingsle » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:03:34

I agree 100%.  One of the ways I think I'm wiser over the years is better
understanding that the path my theoretical purist tendencies want to lead me
is not always the best for the company.

One last variable would be if you think VB (or .Net in general) development
will play a larger role in the future.  If that's the case then this could
be the perfect app to "get your feet wet".
--
Daniel Billingsley, MCP
Programmer/Analyst/System Administrator
The Durcon Company

> Thanks for your comments.

> We had a project that we were about to attempt in VB.  We currently have a
> simple front-end in MS Access.  The person that really wants VB guaranteed
> that we would be under no time pressure.  After we get started in VB, we
are
> told that the project is suddenly hot.  The VB person, who can not code,
> still wants VB.

> I know that it is impossible for me, with little VB experience, to code
> something quickly.  Personally, I would like to do this, but under no time
> pressure.

> This project doesn't need to be scalable.  We will probably replace it in
> another year or two.  The app won't be that complicated either.

> Given all these things, I think the best choice for us is MS Access to get
> the job done quickly.  I just hope that I can convince the other party.

> > Hello, I am a beginner in Visual basic.  I am however, fairly competent
in
> > VBA within Access and Excel.

> > At our company, we are determining whether to use VB.net or MS Access
2002
> > as a front-end to SQL Server data.  I am compiling a list of pros and
> cons.

> > Can some of you experts help me out with your comments?  Thanks alot.

VB.net vs MS Access 2002 as a front end to MS SQL server data

Post by stefan demet » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:49:30

I think it is faster to use Access for insert/edit operations
by just * up some forms and VB.NET for viewing reports

> Thanks for your comments.

> We had a project that we were about to attempt in VB.  We currently have a
> simple front-end in MS Access.  The person that really wants VB guaranteed
> that we would be under no time pressure.  After we get started in VB, we
are
> told that the project is suddenly hot.  The VB person, who can not code,
> still wants VB.

> I know that it is impossible for me, with little VB experience, to code
> something quickly.  Personally, I would like to do this, but under no time
> pressure.

> This project doesn't need to be scalable.  We will probably replace it in
> another year or two.  The app won't be that complicated either.

> Given all these things, I think the best choice for us is MS Access to get
> the job done quickly.  I just hope that I can convince the other party.

> > Hello, I am a beginner in Visual basic.  I am however, fairly competent
in
> > VBA within Access and Excel.

> > At our company, we are determining whether to use VB.net or MS Access
2002
> > as a front-end to SQL Server data.  I am compiling a list of pros and
> cons.

> > Can some of you experts help me out with your comments?  Thanks alot.

VB.net vs MS Access 2002 as a front end to MS SQL server data

Post by Henry Matthe » Wed, 01 May 2002 21:01:54

Hi
Unless you are going to write code is access (in that case what the point
of using access). Access will use jet to ODBC to connect to SQL server.
With .net you not have the sqlclient namespace which only reason of being
is to work with SQL Server

Hank

Hank Matthews, MCSD

Want to know more? Check out the MSDN at HTTP://msdn.microsoft.com or the
Microsoft Knowledge Base at support.microsoft.com
http://www.microsoft.com/security.

This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights

1. VB.net Com DLL's called from MS Access XP VBA, locks MS Access

I've created a Business Logic COM DLL in VB.net.
Debugging the DLL from Access XP VBA was fine, but I get
problems closing down Access XP (I put that down to me
stuffing around while testing).  However this occurs in a
production environment and so far all I can do is use the
ctl-alt-delete end task option from task manager to shut
down Access XP

I've been very happy about the whole process, but the
users are upset about not being able to shut down the
application.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

Environment:
OS: XP
Office: XP
VB7: 7.0.9466
..net: 1.0.3705

Ps. I've cross posted this on dotnet.general (8th Jan
2003) newsgroup with no reply.

Regards, Jamie
www.jenasysdesign.com.au

2. Formatting question

3. Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

4. OnIdle in Modal Dialog

5. MS SQL Server and MS Access

6. imap timeout in mutt-1.1.9

7. Complicated Record Handling on MS Sql server and MS Accesses Databases

8. calling from VB functions of MS Access 2002

9. Access Project front end/ sql backend with Ado vs. .net with ado.net

10. accessing through vb.net data from MS Access2007, need help.

11. hot rek for this postion .Net Developer (VB.Net, SQL Server, MS Access)

12. urgent rek .Net Developer (VB.Net, SQL Server, MS Access)