how to add add-ins

Post by Dean Slinde » Sat, 03 May 2003 12:01:29

Would someone be so kind as to list the steps to add an add-in to the IDE.
Can't find any docs on this.

Thanks,
Dean S

how to add add-ins

Post by Ken Mus » Sun, 04 May 2003 00:17:46

To get an add-in into the IDE is just a matter of
registering it. If it's a .NET class that exposes itself
via COM, try:

regasm /codebase Your.Assembly.dll

If it's a pure COM component:

regsvr32 comaddin.dll

Or are you referring to the steps to create one in the
first place?

how to add add-ins

Post by Dean Slinde » Sun, 04 May 2003 10:36:58

I am attempting to register an add-in written by a vendor into my VS.Net
IDE.

So far, with your help, I have navigated with a command prompt to the
directory
where regasm is located:
D:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
from there I launched regasm with the vendor's .dll as the only parm:
regasm C:\Projects\CStoVBConverter\CStoVBAddIn.dll
I got a successful registration message.
(note I did not use the /codebase parm as the vendor's .dll evidently is not
strongly typed.

So, now I fire up VS.NET, go to Tools | Add-in Manager... |
(but, no entries showing in the Add-in Manager window)

Is there something else to be done?
Thanks,
Dean Slindee

Quote:> To get an add-in into the IDE is just a matter of
> registering it. If it's a .NET class that exposes itself
> via COM, try:

> regasm /codebase Your.Assembly.dll

> If it's a pure COM component:

> regsvr32 comaddin.dll

> Or are you referring to the steps to create one in the
> first place?

how to add add-ins

Post by Ken Mus » Tue, 06 May 2003 21:19:56

Quote:> Is there something else to be done?

Under the hood, typing regasm invokes the public static function flagged
with the [ComRegisterFunction] attribute. This function should then make
entries into the registry that make the add-in visible to the IDE.

For VS .NET 2003, the entry would be a new key under

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Addins

For VS .NET 2002, the entry would be under

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.0\Addins

My first thought would be to examine the registry for a CSToVBAddin entry
(likely called something like CSToVBAddin.Connect) in these two places.
Assuming you are running VS .NET 2003 (since you mention the 1.1 Framework),
check to see if an entry was possibly made for 2002 (the vendor may have
only created the addin with the older VS .NET in mind). If so, then you
should contact the vendor for an updated assembly.

Or if you're brave, you can export the key as a .REG file, open it in a text
editor and modify it to create a key in the 2003 location instead,  and then
re-import it into the registry. Of course, you would then have to manually
unregister it.

Let me know if this helps.

1. .NET Add-ins in Excel do not show up in Add-ins

Has anyone been successful in adding custom built-in functions into
Excel via the .net XP Interop assemblies?

According to MS KB 316723, you have to make sure you build the
deployment project for the Current User, not the machine.  I did that.

Also, in the Add-in path for Excel, I added a string called "Automation"
(from a support call to Microsoft) ... but
alas ... no add-in after I install.

Anyone get this to work?

--mike

2. Ibrowser - when??

3. Creating Office Managed COM Add-Ins with Visual Studio .NET

4. Looking for DECstation 5000/200 memory boards

5. Outlook COM Add-ins With .NET

6. Restricting Internet access

7. Creating Office Add-ins with VB.NET

8. LynxOS mailing group

9. VS.NET add-ins events

10. Can add-ins extend the Server Explorer?

11. .NET Add-ins -> Setup project build problems

12. Add-ins

13. Creating Add-Ins