Linked Windows again

Post by Jack Peter » Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:24:42

There is no "Parent" property in the Window Class.

I have tried to do DTE.Windows.CreateLinkedWindowFrame(Solution Explorer, My
ToolWindow, TypeTabbed);

It does actually half of the job. The result is a floating window including
two tabs. But it is floating!

In addition I try to get as close as possible of the example given in the
documentation. I have added another ToolWindow from the same initial frame
(tabbed). The result is a frame splitted into two parts, one contains two
tabs (Solution Explorer and My ToolWindow), and the second part, down
contains the added ToolWindow.

It seems there is no control over the way windows are added.

In addition when I traces the IsFloating Property, it looks like all
ToolWindows are Floating (Bug ?).

The reason why I tried to add a third window to the created frame was
because I think se shouldn't create a new frame, but use the existing one.
The real "Parent" of Solution Explorer is not the main Window but the frame.
How to access it ? Now if we get the frame, how to add a new ToolWindow and
tell the frame to add it as a tab ?

Hope you can give me an answer.

Jack

> I don't think there is a direct way to do what you want.  There isn't a
way
> to add a pane to an existing window and make them tabdock.  My best guess
is
> to get the "Parent" of the solution explorer, which will be the main
window,
> get its "Windows" property and "CreateLinkedWindowFrame" on it with
> vsLinkedWindowTypeTabbed.   Then add both the solution explorer and your
> pane to it.  If that doesn't work, I will try to dig deeper.

> Chris McGuire (VS Core Team)

> --
rights.

> > I have created a ToolWindow which I want (at load time of my add-in) to
> link
> > to an existing ToolWindow (say Solution Explorer). Link to me means that
> > both are tabs of the same frame.

> > I get Solution Explorer window, get its LinkedWindowFrame, and then try
> > add to the frame's LinkedWindows my own ToolWindow. I end up with my
> window
> > in an entirely new place, not linked with Solution Explorer or any other
> > window.

> > When I read the Caption of all LinkedWindows (linked toSolution
Explorer)
> it
> > returns Caption of all the windows but those to which it is linked to.

> > I also tried CreateLinkedWindowFrame, add Solution explorer and my
> > ToolWindow. The result is a floating window including both ToolWindows.
> But
> > the ToolWindows are not tabs of the same Frame; they occupy half of the
> > space each.

> > I need help ! I have tried almost anything I could think of within
Window
> > Properties and methods.

> > Again what I want to do is to end up having my ToolWindow as a Tab
within
> > the same frame as Solution Explorer, and keep Solution Explorer at same
> > place.

Linked Windows again

Post by Visual Studio Core Tea » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 06:21:26

This is a known deficiency in our object model that we are looking into
fixing for the next version. As of right now there is no workaround other
than to manually re-dock the windows.

Craig, Alfredo, Kemp (MS)

> [...]

> > > When I read the Caption of all LinkedWindows (linked toSolution
> Explorer)
> > it
> > > returns Caption of all the windows but those to which it is linked to.

> > > I also tried CreateLinkedWindowFrame, add Solution explorer and my
> > > ToolWindow. The result is a floating window including both
ToolWindows.
> > But
> > > the ToolWindows are not tabs of the same Frame; they occupy half of
the
> > > space each.

> > > I need help ! I have tried almost anything I could think of within
> Window
> > > Properties and methods.

> > > Again what I want to do is to end up having my ToolWindow as a Tab
> within
> > > the same frame as Solution Explorer, and keep Solution Explorer at

1. Email Link Again

I tried the suggestion below...when I click on the e-mail address the link
acts like it wants to go to another page...I get the message "Page not
found"????

Set the column to a hyperlink column and set the text and the hyperlink
field to the field containing the address.

2. COMMERCIAL: XVScan 1.22 Unix scanning software for HP ScanJets

3. OnGetDispInfo is called again and again....

4. X-Win32

5. Addin brings up installer again and again

6. Does PPP really work?

7. OnGetDispInfo is called again & again.....

8. Mac AVANTGO Security

9. Setup failed... again and again!

10. VS.NET and VSS - again, again

11. AGAIN.AGAIN: Downloading files from my aspx page

12. STILL NOT ANSWERED, AGAIN: Remote Debugging, Windows XP