How does dot net improve on what DCOM already had !!

How does dot net improve on what DCOM already had !!

Post by Blade Runne » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:49:43

Hello All,

Does dot net use any new technology to do distributed comuting or it just uses
old DCOM model wrapped in new APIs. (I am not talking about Web services here
which are based on SOAP .... which of course is something new). I am talking
about plain distributed computing without http tunneling.

Why I ask this is because existing DCOM based applications have had problems in
scalability and performance.

I would be very gratefull if someone can point some resources to me where I can
find facts on how dot net improves upon the upon existing features of COM/DCOM.
some important features would be

1. Secuity ascepts
2. Scalability
3. Performance.

How does dot net improve on what DCOM already had !!

Post by Gary » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:44:07

.NET does not enhance COM or DCOM, as far as I can tell. On the other hand, Web
Services are quite a replacement for DCOM.

Gary

Quote:-----Original Message-----

.

How does dot net improve on what DCOM already had !!

Post by Jerry Halto » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:15:44

Remoting plays a major role although.

[...]

1. Dragging Dot Net Components to Non Dot Net Components

Hi,
  I am having a treeview application in dot net using windows
application in c#.
This treeview appliaction fetches its all nodes from the database.At
the same time
I am storing some data related to that node in database.Now I have to
drag and drop
the node from the windows application to MS Word.But when I will drag
and drop it on
MS Word,it will fetch all the data realted to that node that I stored
in the database.
For Ex.:- I am storing "Name of the node","created by which user" etc.
in the database.
All this data will also get displayed in MS Word when I drop node on
it.
Plese help me in this case

Thanks in advance.

Abhijit.

2. sendmail in Solaris2.7

3. Adding Javascript block? Was it done already??

4. Mysterious Server Reboots

5. Meaning of dot in dot net

6. Dos Web Server Socket pascal???

7. Delphi 6 already has Web Services support already!!

8. Can older (1994) CD-ROM units read my new CD-R ?

9. How do I improve my performance when using ado.net?

10. How to improve the performance of dropdown list loading in asp.net 1.1

11. Improving performance for a ASP.NET site

12. Can ASP.NET improve / simplify this classic ASP code

13. Vb.NET access to ADOMD on a remote OLAP server without DOT.NET framework